All Apps and Add-ons

Does Splunk on Splunk and Splunk App for Unix and Linux increase license usage if installed on search head and indexers?

rishma
Explorer

I have distributed splunk environment. Does Splunk on Splunk, *NIX app increase license usage if installed on SH, Indexers? If yes, How much license increase is expected per searchhead and indexer?

1 Solution

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, the scripted inputs of both of those apps will generate data that counts against your daily license quota anywhere they are configured to run.

For S.o.S, we have found that the ps_sos.sh scripted input typically generates 10 to 50MB / day / instance, depending on how busy the instance is (more searches -> more processes to record) and the interval configured for the script (the default of 5s is fairly aggressive).

View solution in original post

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, the scripted inputs of both of those apps will generate data that counts against your daily license quota anywhere they are configured to run.

For S.o.S, we have found that the ps_sos.sh scripted input typically generates 10 to 50MB / day / instance, depending on how busy the instance is (more searches -> more processes to record) and the interval configured for the script (the default of 5s is fairly aggressive).

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hard to say. I would expect the *nix app to consume more than that if you turn on all inputs. Again, keep in mind that you can adjust the scripts' run interval to mitigate that.

0 Karma

rishma
Explorer

Thank you. Is it same for *NIX app as well?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...