All Apps and Add-ons

DNS in the Windows Infrastructure app

blake1987
Explorer

I'm getting DNS data in form the DNS Debug logs on a Windows Domain Controller using the Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows app. However, the majority of the reports for DNS in the Windows Infrastructure app show no results found. Out of the box, the reports look like this in seach:

msad-index eventtype=msad-dns-debuglog direction="Rcv"|top questiontype,questionname|fix-dnsname(questionname)

If I remove msad-index, I get the results I want...

What is msad-index? How do I... create it?

0 Karma
1 Solution

skalliger
Motivator

What version are you using?
The latest Windows TA contains all the necessary add-ons like DNS and AD. Also, you can just modify your existing index to log the events to the correct index mentioned in the app.

Skalli

View solution in original post

0 Karma

casccep
Engager

You need to modify the macros.conf in the Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure 1.5.2, to reflect your custom indexes.

like:
[wineventlog-index]
definition = index=oswin OR index=oswinsec

[perfmon-index]
definition = index=oswinperf

[msad-index]
definition = index=appmsad

[windows-index]
definition = index=oswinscript OR index=netipam OR index=appmsadmon

in /opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_windows_infrastructure/local

Best Regards.

0 Karma

skalliger
Motivator

What version are you using?
The latest Windows TA contains all the necessary add-ons like DNS and AD. Also, you can just modify your existing index to log the events to the correct index mentioned in the app.

Skalli

0 Karma

blake1987
Explorer

Thanks Skalli,
You're right, I ended up just redirecting them to the msad index which has resolved my issue.

If I don't set the indexes for each stanza, does it just pick them up from the eventtype?

For future reference;
Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows 6.0.0
Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure 1.5.2

Thanks again!

0 Karma

skalliger
Motivator

Eventtypes often don't define an index at all and thus just look through the sourcetypes.

Before installing an app, make sure to go through the configs to see which indexes or sourcetypes it's using. Saves you from trouble. 🙂

The versions are fine, thanks for your feedback.

Skalli

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...