All Apps and Add-ons

DB Connect app issue - Cannot communicate with task server

Lakshmankumar
Engager

Version details
Splunk Version - Enterprise
Splunk Build: 2b5b15c4ee89

DB connect app version : 313
Note: I am using free version on splunk enterprise and testing this DB connect app

I am getting this error 'Cannot communicate with task server, please check your settings' along with other error as attached.
alt text
I checked this port 9998 in my system and its not being used, also changed to different port and restarted the Splunk but still having the issue. I looked other solutions here in the splunk community, but none helped.
I am unable to set the Java location because the page its not loading.. getting other xml errors as shown in the screenshot.

• Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Program Files\Splunk/bin/rest_handler.py", line 79, in <module> print splunk.rest.dispatch(**params) File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\site-packages\splunk\rest_init.py", line 149, in dispatch module = __import('splunk.rest.external.%s' % parts[0], None, None, parts[0]) File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbxproxy.py", line 7, in <module> from dbx_settings import Settings File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx_settings.py", line 10, in <module> import splunklib.client as client File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\random_numbers\bin\splunklib__init_.py", line 18, in <module> from splunklib.six.moves import map ImportError: No module named six.moves

Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Program Files\Splunk/bin/rest_handler.py", line 79, in <module> print splunk.rest.dispatch(params) File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\site-packages\splunk\rest_init.py", line 149, in dispatch module = __import('splunk.rest.external.%s' % parts[0], None, None, parts[0]) File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbxproxy.py", line 7, in <module> from dbx_settings import Settings File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx_settings.py", line 10, in <module> import splunklib.client as client File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\random_numbers\bin\splunklib__init_.py", line 18, in <module> from splunklib.six.moves import map ImportError: No module named six.moves

Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Program Files\Splunk/bin/rest_handler.py", line 79, in <module> print splunk.rest.dispatch(
params) File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\site-packages\splunk\rest_init.py", line 149, in dispatch module = __import('splunk.rest.external.%s' % parts[0], None, None, parts[0]) File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx_settings.py", line 10, in <module> import splunklib.client as client File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\random_numbers\bin\splunklib__init_.py", line 18, in <module> from splunklib.six.moves import map ImportError: No module named six.moves *

Any help on this is really appreciated ?

dhirendra761
Contributor

Hi All,

I have gone though all the answers and done all required changes in config but nothing will happend.
Finally, I use below steps to reslove this issue.

1. Backup your files, if exist, ex: db_input.conf and drivers
  2. Stop splunk. Remove db_connect app from app folder.
  3. Restart Splunk.
  4. Upgrade your splunk with just new version.
  5. install > db connect app

check your db it will be okay now.

Happy Splunking !..

0 Karma

chskm
Path Finder

This is bug which was identified and get fixed in the latest version 3.1.4. I faced the same issue which will get resolved once you upgraded your current version of DB Connect app.

omerr
Explorer

That's correct. The newer version solve the problem.
Thanks.

0 Karma

yliang_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I fixed this issue TWICE in a month by simply reinstalling Splunk. My Splunk is 7.1.2. The DB connect version is 3.1.3
When it happened the third time, I just restart my Splunk instance and it works. Don't remember if I tried reboot Splunk in my first two cases. But definitely try reboot Splunk first. It's an easy shot.

0 Karma

ukumar_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello,

My solution: restart splunk instance.

Here is the splunkd log in case if someone needs to investigate the issue.

09-24-2018 15:42:45.284 -0700 INFO ApplicationManager - Detected app creation: splunk_app_db_connect

09-24-2018 15:42:45.453 -0700 ERROR ModularInputs - Unable to initialize modular input "server" defined inside the app "splunk_app_db_connect": Introspecting scheme=server: script running failed (exited with code 1).

09-24-2018 15:42:45.730 -0700 WARN LocalAppsAdminHandler - User 'admin' triggered the 'create' action on app 'splunk_app_db_connect', and the following objects required a restart: app-migration, checklist, db_connection_types, db_connections, db_inputs, dbx_logging, dbx_settings, identities, ui-metrics-collector

09-24-2018 15:43:02.800 -0700 ERROR ModularInputs - Unable to initialize modular input "server" defined inside the app "splunk_app_db_connect": Introspecting scheme=server: script running failed (exited with code 1).

09-24-2018 16:54:11.555 -0700 ERROR HttpListener - Exception while processing request from 127.0.0.1 for /en-US/app/splunk_app_db_connect/: Connection closed by peer
09-24-2018 16:54:11.556 -0700 ERROR HttpListener - Handler for /en-US/app/splunk_app_db_connect/ sent a 0 byte response after earlier claiming a Content-Length of 119!

Thanks,
Utsav

0 Karma

Lakshmankumar
Engager

Thanks for all the reply. I try again by installing in Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.4 (Maipo)
Splunk Version : 6.6.3
Splunk Build : e21ee54bc796
Java version jre1.8.0_171

And then installed the Splunk DB connect and restarted the splunk and it worked.
So the steps I used to install the DB connect in both windows and in Linux are same. I believe to be Java version or Java with Splunk version compatibility issue in my windows instance causing this issue.

0 Karma

damonmanni
Path Finder

I just fixed my same errors with Just installing java:

1. Logout of DB Connect V3 web UI
  2. yum -y install java
  3. java -version openjdk version "1.8.0_161" OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_161-b14) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.161-b14, mixed mode)
  4. /opt/splunk/bin/splunk restart
  5. Login to web UI:8000
  6. Launch DB Connect V3

All errors are gone.

benton
Path Finder

We have resolved our issue by installing the latest version of the Splunk Python SDK from https://github.com/splunk/splunk-sdk-python. We're still running 3.0.1 on 6.6.2 and everything seems to be OK now.

amitm05
Builder

I've faced this error a while back and I remember it was because it was not able to find Java running on the system.
If its a possibility, you can reinstall the DB Connect app and set the correct path to your JRE again.

0 Karma

benton
Path Finder

This probably doesn't help very much, but we've seen the same issue recently on Splunk 6.6.2 and DBConnect 3.0.1. Everything was working well for ~12 months, but then today we get an error almost identical to your screenshot. We're not sure exactly when the error started occurring for us, but it also seems to be pointing to splunklib.six.moves. We've tried installing the latest version of DBConnect 3.13 but that destroyed our configurations and didn't fix the problem. Reverted to 3.0.1 and restored our configurations (DBXquery command and our identities are working as expected, it's just the Data Lab and Configuration dashboards within the app that are failing.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <response> <messages> <msg type="WARN">Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/splunk/bin/rest_handler.py", line 79, in &lt;module&gt; print splunk.rest.dispatch(**params) File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/rest/__init__.py", line 149, in dispatch module = __import__('splunk.rest.external.%s' % parts[0], None, None, parts[0]) File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/bin/dbxproxy.py", line 6, in &lt;module&gt; from settings import Settings File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/bin/settings.py", line 10, in &lt;module&gt; import splunklib.client as client File "/opt/splunk/etc/system/bin/splunklib/__init__.py", line 18, in &lt;module&gt; from splunklib.six.moves import map ImportError: No module named six.moves </msg> </messages> </response>
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...