All Apps and Add-ons

DB Connect Batch Mode

jugalkinariwala
Explorer

Hi Splunkers,

I have enabled the batch mode for a date field with below query in DB Connect :

SELECT *

FROM SCHEMANAME.TABLENAME

WHERE Termination_date >= from_unixtime(unix_timestamp()-1*60*60*24, 'yyyy-MM-dd')

ORDER BY Termination_date DESC;

The Table doesnt have any primary key and hence making using of batch mode in db connect to retrieve all the data from the table when comparing with one of the date fileds in the table "Termination_date".

The table generates 5000 rows in a day. Hence I have given a condition to schedule the script every 300 seconds and retrieve 300 rows .

My Question::

Will it retrieve last 300 rows of the day or it will keep on ingesting first 300 rows from the table into splunk (I have given DESC in the sql query).

Is there any other solution to get the data by using the same date field as there is no primary key.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
DB Connect batch mode will re-read the same data every time.
To retrieve the most recent rows, use a rising column. The table does not need a primary key - it just needs a column that has a contuously-increasing value that Splunk can use to mark its place in the table.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

jugalkinariwala
Explorer

Rising column is having some issues

If table generates 1000 rows every 10 mins and as I am using Batch mode , shall I go with ASC or DESC to get the recently generated rows from the table ?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Don't use batch mode to get recent rows because batch mode reads the entire table.
If the values of the rising column increase continually (as most do) then you want ASC.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...