All Apps and Add-ons

DB Connect App FAILS to pull entire data to Splunk.

joydeep741
Path Finder

I have to pull 30 million rows from database to splunk using DB Connect App.

I have kept FETCH_SIZE as 20,000.

But my data pull(indexing) stops after 20million rows or so.

I see this error on splunk_app_db_connect_server.log files

2019-04-10 23:18:32.350 -0700 [QuartzScheduler_Worker-16] ERROR org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob - Unable to write records java.io.IOException: HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.recordwriter.HttpEventCollector.uploadEventBatch(HttpEventCollector.java:112) at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.recordwriter.HttpEventCollector.uploadEvents(HttpEventCollector.java:89) at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.recordwriter.HecEventWriter.writeRecords(HecEventWriter.java:36) at org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob.writeBatch(BatchJob.java:203) at org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob.call(BatchJob.java:79) at org.easybatch.extensions.quartz.Job.execute(Job.java:59) at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:202) at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.

How to resolve this ?

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

That error suggests problem with HEC (Http Event Collector), please check whether HEC port is available or not. I'll suggest to Reduce Fetch Size and increase Max Rows.

0 Karma

joydeep741
Path Finder

@harsmarvania57
I get 80% of records but it fails towards the end. So if HEC port wasn't available I wouldn't get any record, right ?

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Splunk DB connect 3 uses HEC to ingest data into Splunk, 503 error indicates that HEC is overloaded and due to that you missed those events.

0 Karma

joydeep741
Path Finder

@harsmarvania57
So what do you suggest to handle this ??
Do we need to upgrade the infra ? or do we need to change the values of max rows and Fetch size ?

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

I'll suggest with less number of fetch size and increase Max rows (but not too much) and see how it performs.

0 Karma

joydeep741
Path Finder

Tried with different combinations of Fetch Size and Max rows. But doesn't work.

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

What is frequency of polling data from Database ? Is it Batch Mode or Rising Column mode ? What are server specification on which DB Connect is running ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...