All Apps and Add-ons

DB-Connect 3 - dbxlookup with query does not work

Dohrendorf_DB
Engager

Hi fellow Splunkers,
I am trying to use DB-Connect to enrich search results by doing a dbxlookup against a table.

This is my command:

| makeresults
| eval value_i_know_to_be_in_database="218024571471"
| dbxlookup query="SELECT * FROM my_table" connection="my_connection" DATABASE_FIELDNAME as value_i_know_to_be_in_database OUTPUT CONTENT as dbx_content

For all I know this is exactly in line with the documentation. To verify that i did not goof the query i also ran:

| dbxquery query="SELECT * FROM my_table" connection="my_connection" 
| outputlookup dbxtest.csv

This returns results and looks right.
I added it to my previos search like this:

| makeresults
| eval value_i_know_to_be_in_database="218024571471"
| dbxlookup query="SELECT * FROM my_table" connection="my_connection" DATABASE_FIELDNAME as value_i_know_to_be_in_database OUTPUT CONTENT as dbx_content
| lookup dbxtest.csv DATABASE_FIELDNAME as value_i_know_to_be_in_database OUTPUT CONTENT as lookup_content

Now I get the expected value in the lookup_content field and still nothing in the dbx_content field.

I have been at this problem for multiple hours now and can't seem to get anywhere. I also tried to use a predefined lookup (which in actual production I can not use because my query needs to be dynamic). Did not work either.

At this point I don`t know what else to try. I have read the docs forward and back, but I can not get anything.

Help me answers.splunk. You are my only hope.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

SinghK
Builder

When you run the query from UI donyou get expected results??

0 Karma

louismai
Path Finder

Hi @SinghK ,

I go to DataLab > Lookups > New Lookups,

Step 1:  Set Reference Search with time range : results as expected

Step 2: Set Lookup SQL: results as expected

Step 3: Field Mapping:

- Search Fields Match Table Columns (case sensitive)

- Lookup Fields: Table columns chosen

Preview Results:

(...) | dbxlookup connection="Pro_DB" query="SELECT TOP(1000) [SID] ,
        [LogTime] ,
        [DocID]
FROM [Storage].[dbo].[DocStates]
ORDER BY [LogTime] DESC" "SID" AS "SID" OUTPUT "LogTime" AS "Log_Time", "DocID" AS "Doc_ID"

Then I clicked on "Open In Search", only the SPL query returns result, but the dbxlookup fields are all blank.

Tks

Louis

0 Karma

manunairadavakk
Path Finder

@Dohrendorf_DB

Did you get any help or were able to find any solution?
I am also facing the same issue

0 Karma

Dohrendorf_DB
Engager

Sadly no. There was no response to this question in any shape or form so far.

For now I solved my problem by running a subsearch with a join, which seems very wrong, but i couldn't solve it any other way.

Please post in here if you find anything.

0 Karma

drodman29
Path Finder

Still broken. 

Solved my issue by running dbxquery output to a csv lookup, then using the normal lookups. 

louismai
Path Finder

It seems to be the only one solution for now. I have to use your solution because the bug is still there until now.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...