All Apps and Add-ons

Config Explorer error

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi at all,
I tried to use the Config Explorer app on a stand-alone Splunk server (on italian Windows 10), but when opening it I have the following error message:

An error occurred!
init:
An exception of type TypeError occurred. Arguments:
('environment can only contain strings',)

and then I haven't any function or dashboard or interface.
Is there an installation or configuration action to perform to start the app?

Ciao.
Giuseppe

Labels (2)
0 Karma

fnlfaraz
Engager

I have a same problem and it seems like, im useing Python-2.7. Can anyone help me on this. 

0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thank you for reporting this problem. I figured out what was causing the problem and I have pushed a new version to Splunkbase. OK Please download version 1.4.9 from here:

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4353/

Best of luck and let me know if you have any more problems

marcoscala
Builder

hi! I had the same issue but with the latest version 1.4.9 now it works!

Regards,

Marco

0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hmm I think that your shell environment has a unicode string which is causing a problem with the application startup. Can you please open a "cmd" shell as the local administrator, then run this command from the SPLUNK_HOME directory:

bin\splunk cmd python

then you should get a new prompt that looks like ">>>". Now type:

import os; os.environ

and this will dumb a large bunch of text. Can you paste it here? I expect one of the strings will be prefixed with a "u" like so: u'some_value'

Cheers, Chris.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @chrisyoungerjds,
Thank you for your attention.

This is the result

>>> import os; os.environ
{'PROGRAMW6432': 'C:\\Program Files', 'SPLUNK_SERVER_NAME': 'Splunkd', 'NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS': '8', 'LOCALAPPDATA': 'C:\\Users\\Giuseppe\\AppData\\Local', 'PROGRAMDATA': 'C:\\ProgramData', 'HOMEPATH': '\\Users\\Giuseppe', 'TEMP': 'C:\\Users\\GIUSEP~1\\AppData\\Local\\Temp', 'USERDOMAIN_ROAMINGPROFILE': 'AzureAD', 'USERDOMAIN': 'AzureAD', 'PYTHONHASHSEED': 'random', 'COMMONPROGRAMFILES': 'C:\\Program Files\\Common Files', 'SPLUNK_ETC': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk\\etc', 'PATH': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk\\bin;C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Oracle\\Java\\javapath;C:\\WINDOWS\\system32;C:\\WINDOWS;C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\Wbem;C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\WindowsPowerShell\\v1.0\\;C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\OpenSSH\\;C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Intel\\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\\DAL;C:\\Program Files\\Intel\\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\\DAL;C:\\Users\\GiuseppeCusello\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\WindowsApps', 'COMSPEC': 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cmd.exe', 'CONFIGSETROOT': 'C:\\WINDOWS\\ConfigSetRoot', 'OS': 'Windows_NT', 'SYSTEMROOT': 'C:\\WINDOWS', 'PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER': 'Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel', 'NODE_PATH': 'C:\\Users\\Giuseppe\\OneDrive', 'TMP': 'C:\\Users\\GIUSEP~1\\AppData\\Local\\Temp', 'ALLUSERSPROFILE': 'C:\\ProgramData', 'SPLUNK_HOME': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk', 'RANDFILE': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk\\var\\run\\.rnd',, 'PROCESSOR_LEVEL': '6', 'HOMEDRIVE': 'C:', 'COMPUTERNAME': 'DESKTOP', 'SPLUNK_WEB_NAME': 'splunkweb', 'PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE': 'AMD64', 'WINDIR': 'C:\\WINDOWS', 'COMMONPROGRAMFILES(X86)': 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files', 'OPENSSL_CONF': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk\\openssl.cnf', 'VBOX_MSI_INSTALL_PATH': 'C:\\Program Files\\Oracle\\VirtualBox\\', 'PROGRAMFILES(X86)': 'C:\\Program Files (x86)', 'SPLUNK_DB': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk\\var\\lib\\splunk', 'APPDATA': 'C:\\Users\\Giuseppe\\AppData\\Roaming', 'PYTHONUTF8': '1', 'PROMPT': '$P$G', 'SSL_CERT_FILE': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk\\cert.pem', 'PROCESSOR_REVISION': '8e0a', 'COMMONPROGRAMW6432': 'C:\\Program Files\\Common Files', 'USERPROFILE': 'C:\\Users\\Giuseppe', 'PUBLIC': 'C:\\Users\\Public', 'PATHEXT': '.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC', 'DOKANLIBRARY1': 'C:\\Program Files\\Dokan\\Dokan Library-1.3.1\\', 'SYSTEMDRIVE': 'C:', 'HOSTNAME': 'DESKTOP', 'USERNAME': 'Giuseppe', 'PROGRAMFILES': 'C:\\Program Files', 'LOGONSERVER': '\\\\DESKTOP', 'PSMODULEPATH': 'C:\\Program Files\\WindowsPowerShell\\Modules;C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\WindowsPowerShell\\v1.0\\Modules', 'LDAPCONF': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk\\etc\\openldap\\ldap.conf'}

There isn't any string with u'some_value'

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for providing this output. The only anomaly I can find is that there is an extra comma appearing after the RANDFILE key. I have no idea how this has entered into the OS environment but it might indicate an environment variable with no name.. I wonder if you can find it by right click "This PC" > "Properties" > Environment variables > check both boxes.

You also didn't mention what version of Splunk you are using, but some of my research indicates this might resolve if you use Python 3 - this will happen if you are using Splunk 8 and above.

All the best and let me know what you find out.
Cheers. Chris

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks Chris,
Probably the above error is my mistake in trying to anonymize the data I sent you!

About the version of Splunk I am using the latest 8.0.4.

In any case I am already using Python3 (I have configured server.conf as described in the documentation) even if using the command you have suggested it replies with python 2.7.
So now I forced to use Python3 and I have the following result:

environ({'ALLUSERSPROFILE': 'C:\\ProgramData', 'APPDATA': 'C:\\Users\\Giuseppe\\AppData\\Roaming', 'COMMONPROGRAMFILES': 'C:\\Program Files\\Common Files', 'COMMONPROGRAMFILES(X86)': 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files', 'COMMONPROGRAMW6432': 'C:\\Program Files\\Common Files', 'COMPUTERNAME': 'DESKTOP', 'COMSPEC': 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cmd.exe', 'CONFIGSETROOT': 'C:\\WINDOWS\\ConfigSetRoot', 'DOKANLIBRARY1': 'C:\\Program Files\\Dokan\\Dokan Library-1.3.1\\', 'DRIVERDATA': 'C:\\Windows\\System32\\Drivers\\DriverData', 'HOMEDRIVE': 'C:', 'HOMEPATH': '\\Users\\Giuseppe', 'LOCALAPPDATA': 'C:\\Users\\Giuseppe\\AppData\\Local', 'LOGONSERVER': '\\\\DESKTOP', 'NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS': '8', 'OS': 'Windows_NT', 'PATH': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk\\bin;C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Oracle\\Java\\javapath;C:\\WINDOWS\\system32;C:\\WINDOWS;C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\Wbem;C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\WindowsPowerShell\\v1.0\\;C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\OpenSSH\\;C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Infocert\\DiKe 6\\RAO;C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Intel\\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\\DAL;C:\\Program Files\\Intel\\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\\DAL;C:\\Users\\Giuseppe\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\WindowsApps', 'PATHEXT': '.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC', 'PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE': 'AMD64', 'PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER': 'Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel', 'PROCESSOR_LEVEL': '6', 'PROCESSOR_REVISION': '8e0a', 'PROGRAMDATA': 'C:\\ProgramData', 'PROGRAMFILES': 'C:\\Program Files', 'PROGRAMFILES(X86)': 'C:\\Program Files (x86)', 'PROGRAMW6432': 'C:\\Program Files', 'PROMPT': '$P$G', 'PSMODULEPATH': 'C:\\Program Files\\WindowsPowerShell\\Modules;C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\WindowsPowerShell\\v1.0\\Modules', 'PUBLIC': 'C:\\Users\\Public', 'SYSTEMDRIVE': 'C:', 'SYSTEMROOT': 'C:\\WINDOWS', 'TEMP': 'C:\\Users\\GIUSEP~1\\AppData\\Local\\Temp', 'TMP': 'C:\\Users\\GIUSEP~1\\AppData\\Local\\Temp', 'USERDOMAIN': 'AzureAD', 'USERDOMAIN_ROAMINGPROFILE': 'AzureAD', 'USERNAME': 'Giuseppe', 'USERPROFILE': 'C:\\Users\\Giuseppe', 'VBOX_MSI_INSTALL_PATH': 'C:\\Program Files\\Oracle\\VirtualBox\\', 'WINDIR': 'C:\\WINDOWS', 'HOSTNAME': 'DESKTOP', 'SPLUNK_HOME': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk', 'SPLUNK_DB': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk\\var\\lib\\splunk', 'SPLUNK_ETC': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk\\etc', 'RANDFILE': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk\\var\\run\\.rnd', 'SPLUNK_SERVER_NAME': 'Splunkd', 'SPLUNK_WEB_NAME': 'splunkweb', 'PYTHONHASHSEED': 'random', 'PYTHONUTF8': '1', 'NODE_PATH': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk\\lib\\node_modules', 'OPENSSL_CONF': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk\\openssl.cnf', 'SSL_CERT_FILE': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk\\cert.pem', 'LDAPCONF': 'C:\\Program Files\\Splunk\\etc\\openldap\\ldap.conf'})

But none u'some_value'.

Ciao and Thanks.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

can you do the same commands as before bin\splunk cmd python and now try running this command:

import os, subprocess; env_copy = os.environ.copy(); p = subprocess.Popen(['bin\\splunk', 'btool', 'check', '--debug'], stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.STDOUT, shell=False, env=env_copy); o = p.communicate(); o

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...