All Apps and Add-ons

Collecting filesystem usage in actual units (GB) rather than percentage

Ranazar
Path Finder

Is there any way to collect JFS disk usage in actual quantities (MB) rather than percentage? I only just now realized that my old nmon analyzer spreadsheet outputs didn't have it either, so I'm assuming that it's not an option within nmon itself - but I thought I'd toss the question out anyway.

I know that filesystem usage in % is available and used for the watermarks; I guess I still have some sense that I might want to alert on real disk free in some cases.

0 Karma
1 Solution

guilmxm
Influencer

Hello !

Actually that's a pretty good point 😉

I am currently managing this since I received this request from other people as well, the new TA-nmon will include 2 new collections (actually what I call "nmon_external" which are OS commands ran by nmon binary and indexed within the main nmon flaw)

• DF_STORAGE
  • DF_INODES

Regarding the DF_STORAGE, the replaces the JFSFILE collection which as you say only contains the percentage of usage of the file systems, the DF_STORAGE reports all the information from the df command in POSIX mode, with CIM complicance:

alt text

The new TA-nmon is currently available in testing / release branches:

https://github.com/guilhemmarchand/TA-nmon/tree/release

The core application is being updated currently, I hope the new release to be ready within the next days.

The JFSFILE collection has been removed by default from the TA-nmon.

Does this replies to your needs and question?

Regards,

Guilhem

View solution in original post

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

Hello !

Actually that's a pretty good point 😉

I am currently managing this since I received this request from other people as well, the new TA-nmon will include 2 new collections (actually what I call "nmon_external" which are OS commands ran by nmon binary and indexed within the main nmon flaw)

• DF_STORAGE
  • DF_INODES

Regarding the DF_STORAGE, the replaces the JFSFILE collection which as you say only contains the percentage of usage of the file systems, the DF_STORAGE reports all the information from the df command in POSIX mode, with CIM complicance:

alt text

The new TA-nmon is currently available in testing / release branches:

https://github.com/guilhemmarchand/TA-nmon/tree/release

The core application is being updated currently, I hope the new release to be ready within the next days.

The JFSFILE collection has been removed by default from the TA-nmon.

Does this replies to your needs and question?

Regards,

Guilhem

0 Karma

Ranazar
Path Finder

Yes - that's perfect! It's a little disconcerting actually - to get exactly what I need as soon as I need it.

I'll be looking forward to the new release (I may just pull from github if I have time). This was one of the few pieces for which I was considering installing the Splunk app for Unix and Linux.

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi Ranazar,

Cool. Are there any other metric related things we might be lacking in Nmon compared to what provide the TA-unix ?

Actually, both applications are not mutually exclusives, it has sense to deploy the TA-unix regarding logs and security related items, if you feel there are metrics items missing, feel free to inform me.

Regards,

Guilhem

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi !

The new release of the core application has been submitted for Splunk certification, and will be available on Splunk base as soon as it would be certified.

In the meantime, you can download the release directly from Github.

All other components, TA-nmon, nmon-logger, etc, are all update to date in their master branches.

Fell free to inform me if you have any issue with the new releases.

Regards,

Guilhem

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...