All Apps and Add-ons

Cannot get VPN access dashboard to work

wbueno2
Explorer

Hi there!

I see that for the vpn dashboard to work it looks for tag=vpn. My question is, how can I make sure the logs has been parsed the way infosec is expecting? I can see the connected and disconnected ids from cisco asa are coming. So please, can you point me for the right direction if that is the case?

Disconnected logs:

May 20 20:25:45 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx May 20 2020 20:23:55: %ASA-4-113019: Group = Remoe, Username = test.vpn, IP = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, Session disconnected. Session Type: AnyConnect-Parent, Duration: 0h:10m:16s, Bytes xmt: 132850266, Bytes rcv: 60187568, Reason: User Requested

Connected logs:

May 20 20:30:52 192.168.201.252 May 20 2020 20:29:02: %ASA-6-113039: Group <Remote> User <test.vpn> IP <xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx> AnyConnect parent session started.

How´s parsed the vpn tag?

Thanks in advance.

wbueno2
Explorer

After normalizing the CIM, still think that I´m not obtaining the right numbers of connected VPN user.

I´m using the the follow eventtype but looking against zabbix, the number don´t match:

CIM_VPN_TAGS sourcetype="cisco:*" (message_id=722022 OR message_id=722023) tag vpn 

I can´t figure out how to make sure to obtain the real time connected users.

0 Karma

igifrin_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @wbueno2, for the VPN dashboard in InfoSec app to light up, you will need the following:

• VPN events tagged with these tags: network, session, vpn
  • Fields/aliases present: user, src_ip, action
  • Data Model Network Sessions accelerated

If you are new to Common Information Model, this is a good start: https://youtu.be/QTklD7OiN74

The video takes you through steps for creating tags and field aliases.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...