All Apps and Add-ons

Blacklist event id from splunk server itself

rriis
Observer

I figured out how to add blacklisting in for forwarders (deployed apps), but where is this configured on the splunk server itself?  This is version 7.2.9.1.  The splunk server is windows.  I though it could be d:\program files\splunk\etc\system\local\inputs.conf, but that file looks very different than the one that is deployed to forwarders.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Which form of blacklisting do you want?  Blacklisting of files is configured in inputs.conf on the forwarder whereas blacklisting of events is configured in props.conf and transforms.conf on the indexers.

Inputs.conf on the server is expected to be very different from the one on the forwarder.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

rriis
Observer

Thanks for the reply, I would like to blacklist a security event that is coming from the splunk server (itself).  The main splunk database server is logging a particular event id that is useless and filling up an index.  I would like to blacklist that event.  I know the syntax for blacklisting, just not sure how (or where) to configure this for the splunk main server.  thanks in advance

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That would done on the indexers using props and transforms.

Have you looked at the cause(s) of those events?  Perhaps a simple change can prevent them from being generated in the first place.  What is the event?

---
0 Karma

rriis
Observer

event 4663, removable storage.  The process information shows the process name to be d:\program files\splunk\bin\splunkd.exe

Seems like anytime splunk fires off that process it logs a 4663 event.  The D drive is not a removable media device but is just a second disk in the system (vmdk)

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ah, a Windows event.  I thought you were dealing with an event generated by Splunk itself.  In this case, you can filter out that event in inputs.conf.  See "Event Log Filtering" in the Admin manual (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.0/Admin/Inputsconf#Event_Log_filtering).

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...