All Apps and Add-ons

All in one lab box - TCP reassembly queue overflow error with stream

andrewm99

I have an all in one Splunk VM setup with Splunk stream installed. I have a mirror port on my switch that is tapping all LAN traffic going into the router and then to the internet (monitoring everything outbound and inbound on LAN side interface of firewall). I have a dedicated NIC in the VM that is connected via direct IO as my TAP, and different Virtual NIC tied to a different physical nic for management of the VM and the splunk web interface, etc.

I have used tcpdump with the second direct IO NIC in the VM to verify that i am seeing traffic going both ways. I have also pinged an internet host and within splunk i see echo request and reply for the 4 pings. The VM has 8 Vcpu and 64gb of RAM. I also increased the setting for maxTcpReassemblyPacketCount to 1000000.

Still i have 2 problems:

1. Errors in stream logs. This one i see once: stream.NetworkCapture - decodePacket: Unsupported IP version:
    This other error repeats periodically: stream.PacketProcessor - TCP reassembly queue overflow

2. I seem to be missing most stats for SSL, and when i search for SSL certs (subject name) i get one or two from days ago. The error listed above (TCP assembly queue overflow) almost always has a destination IP address with port 443.

I am assuming things are related. But i can't find any where else to look. Any suggestions?

0 Karma

jraso
Explorer

Hi andrewm99,

Did you find any solution to this ussue? I have the same problem and I'm loosing a lot of events too!

Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...