All Apps and Add-ons

Afterglow application

bbear
Explorer

Greets friends,

I noticed in another question that the Afterglow app is broken in the Windows version of Splunk.

Is it also broken on Linux?

I have installed the app and I can get it to work via command line but when trying to use the app within splunk ui I do not get the graphics. I do get a message that says "X number of matches" to the query.

raffy
Explorer

The AfterGlow application had to be updated to work with Splunk 4.2.x. There is a new release as of January 5th 2012 (version 1.6.2) which works with Splunk 4.2.x!

Please DOWNLOAD THE NEW RELEASE!

Also do not read the instructions in the Splunk blog entry about how to make the application work. Read the README file that comes with the app and is places in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/afterglow/README. You basically have to change two parameters in the AfterGlow.py file (AFTERGLOWLOCATION and AFTERGLOWPARAMETERS) to make things work.

See you on http://secviz.org!

0 Karma

hiddenkirby
Contributor

I'll bump this as well. In the search app i'm noticing a javascript error.

ERROR utility:59 - name=javascript, class=Splunk.Error, lineNumber=22 message=this.getBaseContext is not a function, filename=AfterGlow.js

I can run things peachy from command line. Looking for web solution, however it may be.

I am running Splunk 4.1.5, and Afterglow 1.5.9. I do have AfterGlow 1.6.0 avail to me if need be.

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That error means nobody ever updated the app to work with 4.1, and it was probably the only app that had custom Javascript back in the 4.0 days. It'll need some developer attention. It's under creative commons so maybe I'll ask Raffy if I can take it over.

0 Karma

rlininger

Hello,

I would like give this question a bump. I'm having the same issue. I'm running Splunk 4.1.5 on Ubuntu 9.10. The afterglow app installed fine, I can go to the app and issue a search, I get the response "460 matching events" but there is no afterglow display in the space underneath where it looks like it should be.

I did notice the afterglow had a dependency on graphviz which I didn't have installed. So I installed that on the splunk system and no change.

0 Karma

gnovak
Builder

I am having the same issue. Running version 4.2, have GraphViz installed but don't understand the read me instructions of to modify the config file. The examples are in MAC language so where in the app directory for AFterglow should I point to in the file?

AFTERGLOWLOCATION = "/Users/ram/afterglow/src/perl/graph"
AFTERGLOWPARAMETERS = "-c /Users/ram/afterglow/src/perl/graph/sample.properties -e 1.2"

I have no idea where these live in splunk. My afterglow is located in /etc/apps/afterglow. If this flat out doesn't work in 4.2 i'll skip it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...