1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So... disabling nmon solved this?

View solution in original post

guilmxm
Influencer

Starting with Nmon App version 1.4.0, enabling the nmon_helper in Mac OS X (which is useless) won't crash anymore splunkd

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi,

I'm the author of the nmon splunk App.

As far i can see, you are running splunk in Mac OS X, nmon data can only be collected on Linux, Aix or Solaris The nmon_helper.sh collects the nmon data, it is deactivated by default unless you activate it at settings time when you first run the App.

Under Mac OS X, you use can use the App to analyse nmon data of other systems, but indeed not local perf data (nmon does not yet exist for bsd* flavour) If people activate the nmon_helper.sh under Mac OS X, it has the strange side effect of crashing splunkd

As the App can be used on any OS (at least as a frontend for Windows/Mac OS X) the App is marked as any OS compatible (which is right...)

I'll modify the App home page to more clearly mention it

To sum Up, you can have the App installed and available in Mac OS X, but don't try to activate the local nmon data collect (at install setup time or later in settings menu) which is useless anyway, or this causes splunkd to crash

My apologise for inconvenients, i'll try to clarify why the input script causes splunkd to crash under OS X

changwoo
Communicator

Oh it's okay. I was my fault not to read the supporting OS .

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So... disabling nmon solved this?

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Okay... don't forget to mark this as solved then.

0 Karma

changwoo
Communicator

I deleted the nmon app. And it worked!!!

0 Karma

changwoo
Communicator

Thanks !!!!!

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Disable that app and try again to see if that's the cause or just a symptom or entirely unrelated.

changwoo
Communicator

it was that error when i started splunk

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's an app "nmon", not Website input.

changwoo
Communicator

07-14-2014 17:32:30.184 +0900 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "/Applications/Splunk/etc/apps/nmon/bin/nmon_helper.sh" dyld: DYLD_ environment variables being ignored because main executable (/bin/ps) is setuid or setgid

this error is comming out of splunkd.log

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Anything noteworthy in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log?

changwoo
Communicator

I was uploading website input app and splunk stopped..

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As per the tag, Website input: http://apps.splunk.com/app/1818/

gajananh999
Contributor

Which App?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...