All Apps and Add-ons

Add-ins no longer displaying input screens after upgrade to 8.03 or 8.07 on HF

marcluescher
Explorer

Hi there,

came across an issue on our HF's when trying to install a Splunkbase application called WebTools.

Suddenly all my apps installed on the heavy forwarers no longer want to display the input pages of many Splunk and non-Splunk Add-Ins.

The common pattern in weblogs seems to be :

2020-12-08 18:40:07,506 ERROR [5fd00ed77f7f53e84e3810] error:335 -
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 628, in respond self._do_respond(path_info)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 684, in _do_respond self.hooks.run('before_handler')
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 114, in run raise exc
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 104, in run hook()
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 63, in __call__ return self.callback(**self.kwargs)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cherrypy/_cptools.py", line 182, in _wrapper if self.callable(**kwargs):
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/customstaticdir.py", line 54, in custom_staticdir filename = resolver(section, branch, dir)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/root.py", line 283, in static_resolver return static_app_resolver(section, branch, static_app_dir)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/root.py", line 269, in static_app_resolver i18n_cache = i18n.translate_js(fn)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/i18n.py", line 908, in translate_js f.write(filename_contents)

UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode character '\u2019' in position 37632: ordinal not in range(256)

I did some test to play around with the locales of the Splunk user but this did not resolve the issue.

Any ideas what to try next ? I also opened a ticket with Splunk.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That looks like a Python3 compatibility problem.  Did you run the Splunk Upgrade Readiness app before upgrading to Splunk 8?  Doing so should have identified the problem and suggested a fix.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

marcluescher
Explorer

W never needed both applications in question before:

Workday Add-In

Webtools.

Same happens for AWS Add-In written by Splunk now.

Both are supported on the version of the HF we are running. They also work in our testbed on windows on the same Release.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...