All Apps and Add-ons

Add-ins no longer displaying input screens after upgrade to 8.03 or 8.07 on HF

marcluescher
Explorer

Hi there,

came across an issue on our HF's when trying to install a Splunkbase application called WebTools.

Suddenly all my apps installed on the heavy forwarers no longer want to display the input pages of many Splunk and non-Splunk Add-Ins.

The common pattern in weblogs seems to be :

2020-12-08 18:40:07,506 ERROR [5fd00ed77f7f53e84e3810] error:335 -
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 628, in respond self._do_respond(path_info)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 684, in _do_respond self.hooks.run('before_handler')
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 114, in run raise exc
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 104, in run hook()
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 63, in __call__ return self.callback(**self.kwargs)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cherrypy/_cptools.py", line 182, in _wrapper if self.callable(**kwargs):
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/customstaticdir.py", line 54, in custom_staticdir filename = resolver(section, branch, dir)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/root.py", line 283, in static_resolver return static_app_resolver(section, branch, static_app_dir)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/root.py", line 269, in static_app_resolver i18n_cache = i18n.translate_js(fn)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/i18n.py", line 908, in translate_js f.write(filename_contents)

UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode character '\u2019' in position 37632: ordinal not in range(256)

I did some test to play around with the locales of the Splunk user but this did not resolve the issue.

Any ideas what to try next ? I also opened a ticket with Splunk.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That looks like a Python3 compatibility problem.  Did you run the Splunk Upgrade Readiness app before upgrading to Splunk 8?  Doing so should have identified the problem and suggested a fix.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

marcluescher
Explorer

W never needed both applications in question before:

Workday Add-In

Webtools.

Same happens for AWS Add-In written by Splunk now.

Both are supported on the version of the HF we are running. They also work in our testbed on windows on the same Release.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...