Alerting

custom CSV filename with timestamp in email alerts

cramasta
Builder

I would like to customize the csv filename that gets sent in the email alerts while also including a time stamp in the file name.

Tags (4)
1 Solution

cramasta
Builder

i went poking around in the sendemail.py file.

What i ended up doing was commenting out the following line....

#filename = "splunk-results.csv"

And then I added the following two lines below it......

datestamp = time.strftime('%m-%d-%y')

filename = '%s-%s.csv' % (subject, datestamp)

What this ends up doing is naming the csv file with the email subject name that you define in the saved search and it also adds the timestamp to the end of filename as well.

mynewshinnyfilename-4-18-12.csv

View solution in original post

cramasta
Builder

i went poking around in the sendemail.py file.

What i ended up doing was commenting out the following line....

#filename = "splunk-results.csv"

And then I added the following two lines below it......

datestamp = time.strftime('%m-%d-%y')

filename = '%s-%s.csv' % (subject, datestamp)

What this ends up doing is naming the csv file with the email subject name that you define in the saved search and it also adds the timestamp to the end of filename as well.

mynewshinnyfilename-4-18-12.csv

vkakani60
Path Finder

Hope splunk team would consider your answer and modify the sendemail in coming releases. very helpful.

0 Karma

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It would be better if you could ask the question first with one post, and then post the answer to the question. After that you can accept your answer.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...