Alerting

Why my Splunk alert only include 1000 results in attached csv?

mekamundia
Explorer

Hi to all,
I am a real newbie in Splunk. Sorry for my simple question, but I really need help.
I have set an automated alert on Splunk that collects over 8000 results when triggered. I tried dispatch those results by email in a .csv document, but Splunk only attach first 1000 results to the file. Vice versa when I relaunched the search manually, it made easily a complete csv document.
How I can extend the number of results in mail attachment ?
I also read the topic Splunk Alert only includes first 1000 results of search. Why? but it seems to me does not gave a solution to this problem: (there seems to be some hard-coded voodoo going on behind the scenes. And for whatever reason, that voodoo wants to keep your from sending more than 1,000 events in your email)
thanks in advance for every tip

jaxjohnny2000
Builder

Using the Web GUI, modify just this one report you want to change. Try to go into Edit - Advanced Edit. The scroll down to action.email.maxresults . The default value is there for 10000. Add another zero (0) so it reads 100000.

alt text

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

the limits are in 2 places :

• in alert_actions maxresults=10000
  • in alert_actions in the command calling the email script.

you can redefine this in our local/alert_actions.conf

Here is a way to bump the limit to 50000 for the email alerts only. (on 6.2.0, please adapt the command to your version)

[email]
command     = $action.email.preprocess_results{default=""}$ | sendemail "results_link=$results.url$" "ssname=$name$" "graceful=$graceful{default=True}$" "trigger_time=$trigger_time$" maxinputs="$action.email.maxresults{default=50000}$" maxtime="$action.email.maxtime{default=5m}$" results_file="$results.file$"

maxresults=50000
0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi mekamundia,

you can apply some anti-voodoo globally in alert_actions.conf by setting

[default]
maxinputs = <YourNewMaxResultNumber>

or per saved search/ alert in savedsearch.conf like this:

action.email.maxinputs = <YourNewMaxResultNumber>

Hope this helps to fight the Voodoo 😉

cheers, MuS

mekamundia
Explorer

Nothing to do.... again.
Sorry somesoni2 but also your solution does not work.
I wait for new tips from everybody.

0 Karma

mekamundia
Explorer

I have tested the modify...
nothing new happened. The vodoo remains... 😞

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try maxresults attribute in alert_actions.conf and action.email.maxresults in savedsearches.conf for your search

0 Karma

mekamundia
Explorer

Ok, I'll try again modifying [default] stanza.
The search runs at night: tomorrow i'llsee the results.

Thanks for your support !

0 Karma

mekamundia
Explorer

Hi MuS

Yesterday I have applied the modify to alert_actions. conf and restarted the search head (where the search is saved and runs).
But the wodoo remains :(...

What i missed?
I need some more tips !

cheers,
Mekamundia

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

uuppsss, looks like the maxinputs belongs to the [default] stanza and not the [email] in alert_actions.conf - sorry my bad

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Did you try the action.email.maxinputs in savedsearch.conf as well?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...