Alerting

Why is triggering an alert not running the script?

redouane_prx
Engager

Hi,

It's been two days and I'm trying to solve this problem, I'm quite new to splunk and I want to run a script from a triggred alarm.

I've configured an alarm to execute two action:
1) send an email
2) run a script

I do receive the email but the shell script is not executed, the log file (splunkd.log) shows this error:

rt_scheduler__admin__search__RMD5311cfcc34c99c9e6_at_1523539181_68344.1380 command="runshellscript", Script: /opt/splunk/bin/scripts/ exited with status code: 1

I tried Script trouble shooting but it didn't help.

I'm using the version 6.5.3 of splunk.

Hope you can help me with this.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

As mentioned by @DalJeanis, this is most likely related to the script being not correct. Try running it like Splunk would:

1. Start a Splunk shell: /opt/splunk/bin/splunk /bin/bash
  2. In this shell start the script: /opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd <scriptnamehere> and see what happens

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

redouane_prx
Engager

Thank you guys, the problem is solved. the issue indeed was with the script and Splunk shell didn't have the necessary libraries (OPENSSL_1.0.1) to execute it.

logloganathan
Motivator

thanks for providing the solution

0 Karma

sagar0907
Engager

where do we need the libraries and which libraries we need to place in order to run the shell script/sql

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

I've also seen times when status code 1 was a badly written python script. wrong number of spaces on a line if I recall correctly.

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

Hi refer this thread here - https://answers.splunk.com/answers/329819/alert-manager-script-exit-status-1.html
Looks like an issue with the script target . It could be an issue with the privileges that splunk needs to access your script target

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...