Alerting

Why is the Script in custom alert action app is not working properly?

sudhir7
Explorer

I have created a custom alert action app to restart Splunk.
Here is restart_splunk.bat file, which I used in custom alert action app.

:start

cd "C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin\"

break>"C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\restart_splunk\bin\data.dat"

splunk search "| rest /services/search/jobs | search dispatchState=Running OR dispatchState=Finalizing OR dispatchState=Backgrounded | table author" -auth admin:changeme >> "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\restart_splunk\bin\data.dat"

for /f %%i in ('find /v /c "" ^<"C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\restart_splunk\bin\data.dat"') do set myint=%%i

IF %myint%==3 (
    cd "C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin\"
    splunk restart
    )

IF NOT %myint%==3 (    
    timeout 60
    goto start
    )

When I run this script manually, it works fine.
But when I schedule a custom alert, it just stops Splunk instead of restarting.
I tried this using "splunk stop" and "splunk start" instead of "splunk restart", but the result is same.

Has anyone else faced a similar situation ?

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@sudhir7 ,The user who is running the scheduled script has same permission as you run manually? Also check ownership of splunk files

---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂
0 Karma

sudhir7
Explorer

Hi @renjith.nair , Thanks for your reply.
For testing purpose, I have created an ec2 instance, which has only one user i.e. Administrator.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

New This Month - Observability Updates Give Extended Visibility and Improve User ...

This month is a collection of special news! From Magic Quadrant updates to AppDynamics integrations to ...

Intro to Splunk Synthetic Monitoring

In our last post, we mentioned that the 3 key pieces of observability – metrics, logs, and traces – provide ...