Alerting

Why is Linux server showing falsely as down?

kellyjos12

I have a Linux server falsely showing as down on Splunk Web.  I have tried restarting the Linux server and restarting the Splunk forwarder on the Linux server but the issue still remains.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

kellyjos12

Yes Splunk forwarder is installed on the Linux server.  I am using an alert on a Splunk Search Head.  I'm new to Splunk and still trying to learn.

Thank you,

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI @kellyjos12,

two questions to better undertand your situation:

• when you say " falsely showing as down on Splunk Web" what do you mean? how do you see that it's down? do you see it or not?
  • how do you take logs from the Forwarder? are you using a TA? which one?

Anyway, you should take the logs from the Forwarder using the TA_Linux (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/833/) but the detection of server down usually is done using the Splunk internal logs: if you have Splunk internal logs from that server the server is up otherwise is down.

You could say that in this way you can only know that the Splunk Forwarder is up or down but even if the server is up and the Forwarder is down you are blind, so the best thing is to check the status of the Forwarder.

So, have you the logs from that server in Splunk? you can check using a simple search:

index=_internal host=<your_host>

if you have results the Forwarder is up and running, if you haven't, you have to debug why, but it's a different problem.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi  @kellyjos12.,

let me understand:

• you have Linux server with an Heavy Forwarder installed on,
  • you monitor it and sometimes you have the message that the server is down;

is this correct?

how do you have the status of down?

which app are you using for monitoring the server?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...