alert.expires = 10s
alert.suppress = 0
alert.track = 0
auto_summarize.dispatch.earliest_time = -1d@h
cron_schedule = 1 8 * * *
description = F308 Failed to Launch before 8:00 AM
enableSched = 1
realtime_schedule = 0
search = index=nitro_ecomm sourcetype=nitro_log "[name=F308]] launched" earliest=@d latest =@d+8h | stats count as JobCount | where JobCount < 1 |eval Weight="50" | eval Metric="Health" | eval _time=now()|eval Metric_Category="Application"| eval Metric_Type="Error" | eval Application="Batch" | eval Key="Host" | eval Frequency="24 hour" | eval ID="NA" | eval Description="F308 did not launch before 8:00 AM" | eval Value=JobCount | eval Alert_Type="Critical" | eval Service-Now_Assignment_Group="EC-IScore"| eval Alert="Yes" | eval Violation=1 | eval Search_name="nitro_F308-failed-to-launch" | table _time Metric_Category Metric Metric_Type Application Key ID Description Frequency Value Alert_Type Alert Service-Now_Assignment_Group Weight Violation Search_name
disabled = 0

This alert continues to fire even though it did launch before 8am everyday, any specific reasoning did I write this incorrectly?

0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

First - it looks like this is a populating search for a summary index. Why?
Second - it looks like there are no trigger conditions set for the search. So the alert always triggers. ("Always" is the default.)
Third - depending on where the data originates, you might want to run the search slightly later. You are assuming that the event will be detected, transmitted to the Splunk indexer, parsed and written to disk by the actual time 8:01, which may not be true in many environments.

I would have set the trigger condition to "Number of events = 0" in the GUI. In the savedsearches.conf file, I think this would be

counttype=number of events
relation = equal to
quantity = 0

Also, you can remove "| stats count as JobCount | where JobCount < 1 " from your search. Depending on the content of the actual event, this might let you remove some of the eval statements as well.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

First - it looks like this is a populating search for a summary index. Why?
Second - it looks like there are no trigger conditions set for the search. So the alert always triggers. ("Always" is the default.)
Third - depending on where the data originates, you might want to run the search slightly later. You are assuming that the event will be detected, transmitted to the Splunk indexer, parsed and written to disk by the actual time 8:01, which may not be true in many environments.

I would have set the trigger condition to "Number of events = 0" in the GUI. In the savedsearches.conf file, I think this would be

counttype=number of events
relation = equal to
quantity = 0

Also, you can remove "| stats count as JobCount | where JobCount < 1 " from your search. Depending on the content of the actual event, this might let you remove some of the eval statements as well.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...