Alerting

Saved Search cannot send email

vincenteous
Communicator

Afternoon all,

I've upgraded splunk to version 6.1.3 recently and encountered an error in a scheduled saved search. The search, for an unknown reason, failed to identify the recipients listed in the configuration and splunkd.log showed the error like this:

09-29-2014 15:30:18.287 +0700 ERROR ScriptRunner - stderr from '/apps/splunk/bin/python /apps/splunk/etc/apps/TselITSECOpSecEvents/bin/sendemail.py "results_link=https://10.35.105.25:8000/app/TselITSECOpSecEvents/@go?sid=scheduler__admin__TselITSECOpSecEvents__RMD5dba399bcecc9591e_at_1411979400_324" "ssname=tsel_itsecevent_unusual_access_to_resource_non_privilage_user" "graceful=True" "trigger_time=1411979418" results_file="/apps/splunk/var/run/splunk/dispatch/scheduler__admin__TselITSECOpSecEvents__RMD5dba399bcecc9591e_at_1411979400_324/results.csv.gz"':  ERROR:root:missing required argument: to. Please specify at least on email recipient as: "to=address@example.com"

I've inspected the job and I found all recipients. Unfortunately, splunk keep delivering the same error message. Can someone enlighten me about this case?

Thanks in advance

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

linu1988
Champion

Hello Vincenteous,
This is happening because of your old sendemail.py file. If you have managed to customize it you may not be able to use it with savedsearch. There are two options.

1. One is to include a |sendmail command in your search and remove the to list. This will just work fine with all the provided parameters to the command.
  2. You need to replace the sendemail.py file with default search app sendemail.py file and customize it. You may also go for a scripting solution which will not actually change with every splunk release. Splunk doesn't give us a good template to customize our own email format so we need to do it by ourselves.

Thanks,
L

View solution in original post

vincenteous
Communicator

Thanks to L. I've replaced the old sendemail.py with the one from splunk 6.1.3 version. As for preemptive measure, I've also replaced the old sendemail_handler.py.

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

Hello Vincenteous,
This is happening because of your old sendemail.py file. If you have managed to customize it you may not be able to use it with savedsearch. There are two options.

1. One is to include a |sendmail command in your search and remove the to list. This will just work fine with all the provided parameters to the command.
  2. You need to replace the sendemail.py file with default search app sendemail.py file and customize it. You may also go for a scripting solution which will not actually change with every splunk release. Splunk doesn't give us a good template to customize our own email format so we need to do it by ourselves.

Thanks,
L

vincenteous
Communicator

Thank you very much, L. I've suspected that sendemail.py would be the primary cause before, but I wasn't sure enough to execute it. I used method no. 2 in the end.

0 Karma

jwelsh_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Great catch, thanks for sharing!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...