Alerting

Native Splunk Password Expiry Alert - Is it not working for anyone?

mikeydee77
Path Finder

I have setup the Splunk native password policy on my company's implementation but it seems like the password expiration alert does not work as expected. Today I have many users complaining that their password has expired but did not receive, or notice any warning.

I was assuming that the 15 day alerts would be a "highlighted bar" at the top of the splunk page (fine for daily users) but for occasional users I was expecting an email. Reading over the docs I can only find information on how to set this but not any detail on what it actually does.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

marone
Explorer

alt text
The alert is displayed when a user login (image above), you have to specify some parameters in the authentication.conf (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.3/Admin/Authenticationconf), to do so : declare the stanza splunk_auth and modify the following keys :

[splunk_auth]
minPasswordLength = 8
minPasswordUppercase = 1
minPasswordLowercase = 1
minPasswordDigit = 1
minPasswordSpecial = 1
expirePasswordDays = 20
expireAlertDays = 42
expireUserAccounts = True
forceWeakPasswordChange = True
lockoutUsers = True
lockoutMins = 30
lockoutAttempts = 3
enablePasswordHistory = True
passwordHistoryCount = 5
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...