Alerting

Is there documentation on the workflow of how Splunk handles scripts on alerts?

snadams

Even thought it took me a while, I figured out how to get an alert to run a script. I came across with some problems when I discovered that our Splunk instance runs the script as the search head server that interfered with some of the script functionality. I placed some debugging spots in the script to send out emails of stdout, which works when I run under the system account locally on the box, but not when ran by Splunk.

I was wondering if there was a step-by-step process on how Splunk handles these scripts, so I can figure out where things may be getting hung up.

0 Karma
1 Solution

hunters_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi snadams,

I think you can find some useful information in this doc:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.1/AdvancedDev/CustomAlertScript

Hope this helps. Thanks!
Hunter

View solution in original post

0 Karma

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@snadams - Did the answer provided by hunters help provide a solution to your question? If yes, please don't forget to resolve this post by clicking "Accept". If no, please leave a comment with more feedback. Thanks!

0 Karma

hunters_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi snadams,

I think you can find some useful information in this doc:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.1/AdvancedDev/CustomAlertScript

Hope this helps. Thanks!
Hunter

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...