Alerting

Is there a token that get total number of events in the alert?

bestSplunker
Contributor

hello ,everyone.

I have read doc https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.5/Alert/EmailNotificationTokens

I noticed the token $job. resultCount $ can count number of alert results, but I wanted to get the total number of events in the search results.

for example:

index = ids eventtype=ids_attack |stats count by signature_id

because I use stats count by signature_id, the search returned 20 results. the total number of events is 500.
so If I used token $job. resultCount $ in the alert, the alert message would tell me 20 results, but in fact, I want to get the total number of events (500 events), which is equivalent to the result count of the following search

index = IDS eventtype = ids_attack

To avoid creating two alerts, I want to ask if there is a way to get the total number of events?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@bestSplunker once you have the field total_events in the search result, you can use $result.total_event$ in your Alert. I am not sure that there will be any other way of having this as token.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Do this:

index = ids eventtype=ids_attack | eventstats count |stats count first(count) AS _totalCount BY signature_id

Then use $results._totalCount$ for your token.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@bestSplunker once you have the field total_events in the search result, you can use $result.total_event$ in your Alert. I am not sure that there will be any other way of having this as token.

bestSplunker
Contributor

@niketnilay thank you~ please convert your comment to answer, I will accept your reply

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@bestSplunker I am glad you found the answer useful. I have converted my comment to answer, so that you can mark the same as accepted.

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@bestSplunker

Can you please try this?

index = ids eventtype=ids_attack  | eventstats count as total_event |stats count values(total_event) as total_event by signature_id
0 Karma

bestSplunker
Contributor

@kamlesh_vaghela I hope to implement it in a token way

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...