Alerting

Include hostname in alert email subject

sruff
Explorer

I'm looking for a way to include the hostname in an alert email subject. Our pager system ignores multiple alerts with same subject so it is possible to miss alerts from multiple hosts with same issue.

Thanks for reading.

Tags (3)

mmccul
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Put the token $result.host$ in the subject section of the alert configuration.

See http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.3/Alert/Setupalertactions for more details.

sruff
Explorer

Thanks for the quick reply. I've tested and this solution does not work. I've tested with token "$result.host$" and "$result.src_host$".

My saved search is as follows:
Search
tag::host="atg" tag::host="prod1" source=*/server.log TESTING--SRUFF
Email subject
Splunk Alert: $name$ $result.host$

Latest alert email subject line has "Splunk Alert: <saved search name>" but does not include the hostname of from the server who's log contained the search text. I was expecting to see "Splunk Alert: <saved search name> <server name>".

Thanks.

0 Karma

mmccul
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just for sanity's sake, see if that token works for you in the alert body.

$result.host$ means insert from the results, the value of the field named host. There are some oddities for some cases in that token, but source and host should just work.

0 Karma

sruff
Explorer

I'm not seeing where you can modify the body of the email.

I tested with Subject: "Splunk Alert: $name$ $results.count$" which returns the proper count. Auto included in the body of the email has the below columns and under the index column it does list the correct hostname
_raw _time host index linecount source sourcetype splunk_server tag::host

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Upgrading is fairly painless...

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Using search results as tokens in Email alerts is only available from 6.1 and up 😞

0 Karma

sruff
Explorer

Aww man. Ok thanks for the help.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What Splunk version are you using?

0 Karma

sruff
Explorer

version 5.0.3, build 163460

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...