Alerting

I created an Alert, is there any way to test it?

rwolinski

I created an alert for a condition that I want an email notification for going forward. Setting up the alert is fairly straight forward. I only want it to check at 15 minutes past the hour, for the past hour. Now that I have it created, I would like to test it, but the condition I am looking for is from earlier in the day. Is there a way to test that? I want to make sure the email addresses I entered are correct and that those groups will receive the email if the condition is encountered again in the future.

Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

When I need to do this, I add a macro to the end of the search that will add fake data with an append [|makeresults ... for test and | noop for non-test. When testing, just change the macro.

0 Karma

wpreston
Motivator

You could also test it directly from the search bar using the sendalert command. Docs here and here.

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

couple of things here:
if you know the condition existed earlier that day, just create a fake alert with same condition that searches that time range
testing the emails is straight forward, use the sendmail command as described here and verify everybody receives email.
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.1/SearchReference/Sendemail#Examples
hope it helps

rwolinski

This worked perfectly. I everyone got the emails and exactly what we were expecting in them. Thank you.

0 Karma

sbbadri
Motivator

try this

index=xxxx sourcetype=xxxx earliest= latest= rest of the query along with condition | sendemail to=\"abc@123.com\" format=\"html\" server=localhost subject=\"Alert for Data\" message=\"This is an alert for some data\" sendpdf=true"

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.2/SearchReference/Sendemail

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Thanks for the Memories! Splunk University, .conf24, and Community Connections

Thank you to everyone in the Splunk Community who joined us for .conf24 – starting with Splunk University and ...

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...