Alerting

How to send an email to the user that an alert was triggered on?

sjcoluccio67
Explorer

I have an alert that is configured to trigger on the event of an account lockout. It is a very simple alert that looks like this:
index=wineventlog sourcetype=WinEventLog:Security EventCode=4740 | stats count by user Caller_Computer_Name

This displays an easy to read table with the username of the locked out account, the computer that the lockout came from, and a count of lockouts.

Currently, I have a trigger action set to email our Access Admins when a lockout occurs. However, in addition to that, I would like an email to be sent to the particular user that generated the lockout event. In order to do this, there are a few manipulations that need to be done.

In our domain, some usernames are appended with "-fa" and some aren't. I would only like to send emails to the accounts that are appended with "-fa". For example, if an account is locked out for the user "steve-fa" then I would like to send an email to that user informing him that his account has been locked out. In order to do so, I have to tell Splunk to remove the "-fa" and replace it with "@company.com" and then use "steve@company.com" as the email address.

Is this possible? If so, would it be configured in the alert wizard or would it be contained in the search using the sendmail feature?

Thank you in advance for any help!

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

How is your user getting the email if he/she is locked out of his/her account....? 😉

0 Karma

sbbadri
Motivator

you can try like below

index=wineventlog sourcetype=WinEventLog:Security EventCode=4740 | stats count by user Caller_Computer_Name | eval user_new = user | rex field=user_new mode=sed "s/\S+(-fa)/\S+@company.comf/g" | sendemail to=$user_new$,$user$ rest of query.

I hope it helps

0 Karma

sjcoluccio67
Explorer

This is so close. I am using the following string but there is something wrong.

index=wineventlog sourcetype=WinEventLog:Security EventCode=4740 | stats count by user Caller_Computer_Name |eval user_new=user | rex field=user_new mode=sed "s/\S+(-*a)/\S+@company.com/g" | sendemail to=$user_new$ server=mail.company.com subject="Your " $user$ "account has been locked out!" message="Splunk has detected that your account has been locked out. Please contact Access Admins for assistance." sendresults=false

The first $ in "sendemail to=$user_new$" is red. Splunk is not picking up the email address to send to.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The rex command should be | rex field=user_new mode=sed "s/(\S+)(-fa)/\1@company.comf/g".

0 Karma

sjcoluccio67
Explorer

I believe the rex command might still be a little off. It still does not like the variable "$user_new$". When I replace it with my own email it works. Here is the command as of now:

index=wineventlog sourcetype=WinEventLog:Security EventCode=4740 | eval user_new=user |rex field=user_new mode=sed "s/(\S+)(-fa)1/@company.comf/g" | sendemail to=$user_new$ server=mail.company.com subject="Your account has been locked out!" message="Splunk has detected that the account shown below has been locked out. Please contact Access Admins for assistance." sendresults=true inline=true format=raw

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...