Alerting

How to make an alert wait for 5 minutes after it finds an event, and collect all the events in those 5 minutes

rohanmiskin
Explorer

I've setup an alert , where i'm saying send alert as soon as 1 record is found. But actually i want to wait for few more events to happen in the next 5 minutes. I want my alert to wait for 5 minutes and collect all the events, and then send report. Is there a way to make my alert wait until it fetched all the events that'll happen in the next five minutes?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rohanmiskin,

you could try something like this:

index=your_index [ search index=your_index "string_to_search" | head 1 | eval earliest=_time, latest=relative_time(_time,"+5m") | fields earliest latest ]

in this way, using the subsearch, you identify the timestamp of the event to search and you display all the events from that time stamp for the following 5 minutes.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have your search scheduled for every minute collecting events from the past 5 minutes and only if the event you are looking for occurs in the first minute so you raise an alert and send the message.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get ready to show some Splunk Certification swagger at .conf24!

Dive into the deep end of data by earning a Splunk Certification at .conf24. We're enticing you again this ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Now On-Demand Join us to learn more about how you can leverage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and the new ...

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...