Alerting

How to add reoccurring days in splunk?

majidlodhi
Explorer

Hi All,

I am new to splunk and not an pro in scripting, any help will be appreciated. I am trying to write a query where it will display data for reoccurring failed login attempts for a period of three days where count = or more then 50.

EG: if the user failed to login 60 times today and 10 times for the next two days - the alert should not fire but if the user failed to login 60 times today, 70 tomorrow and 55 on the third day - it should fire with the details that I ask for.

I have written the below query thus far but I am not able to figure the "3 days" part and how it should be written,
sourcetype=wineventlog:security action=failure | search daysago=3 WHERE count>50 | stats count by user,EventCode,Status,Failure_Reason | sort - count

Thank you.

0 Karma
1 Solution

aholzer
Motivator

You were fairly close, just had your syntax slightly off, and the order of operations backwards.

.1. Run a stats to count the number of failures by user and day

sourcetype=wineventlog:security action=failure | bucket _time span=1d | stats count by user, _time

.2. Next, look for anything that resulted in more than 50

sourcetype=wineventlog:security action=failure | bucket _time span=1d | stats count by user, _time | search count > 50

.3. Next, assuming you will run this once a day for "today" + 2 days, then you will want to count the number of occurrences where a single user had >50 failures

sourcetype=wineventlog:security action=failure | bucket _time span=1d | stats count by user, _time | search count > 50 | stats count by user

.4. Finally you only want to alert if there are any users with a count count > 2

sourcetype=wineventlog:security action=failure | bucket _time span=1d | stats count by user, _time | search count > 50 | stats count by user | search count > 2

So when you configure your alert make sure to configure it to run for earliest: -3d@d latest: @d, and configure it to run once a day early in the morning.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

0 Karma

aholzer
Motivator

You were fairly close, just had your syntax slightly off, and the order of operations backwards.

.1. Run a stats to count the number of failures by user and day

sourcetype=wineventlog:security action=failure | bucket _time span=1d | stats count by user, _time

.2. Next, look for anything that resulted in more than 50

sourcetype=wineventlog:security action=failure | bucket _time span=1d | stats count by user, _time | search count > 50

.3. Next, assuming you will run this once a day for "today" + 2 days, then you will want to count the number of occurrences where a single user had >50 failures

sourcetype=wineventlog:security action=failure | bucket _time span=1d | stats count by user, _time | search count > 50 | stats count by user

.4. Finally you only want to alert if there are any users with a count count > 2

sourcetype=wineventlog:security action=failure | bucket _time span=1d | stats count by user, _time | search count > 50 | stats count by user | search count > 2

So when you configure your alert make sure to configure it to run for earliest: -3d@d latest: @d, and configure it to run once a day early in the morning.

Hope this helps

0 Karma

majidlodhi
Explorer

Thank you very much. It works now:)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...