Alerting

How to add HTML markups to alert email?

Sasquatchatmars
Communicator

Hi all,

I have an alert which is sending an email to all users but i need to add HTML tags to the content. For example, I need to add images and make some text bold, colored and stuff like that.
When I add the tags and send the mail it doesn't work, does someone know how I could use it? I'm obligated to add it in the mail.

Thank you,

Sasquatchatmars

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Sasquatchatmars
Communicator

For anyone who needs an answer to this, I made a new command using the suggested changes, here , in the python script "sendemail.py". 

To do this go to: 

copy the script: splunk/etc/apps/search/bin/sendemail.py 

Go to the part where you can find:

def htmlMessageTemplate():
    return template.Template('<div style="margin: 0 20px;">${msg|h}</div>')

Change that to to the following:

return template.Template('<div style="margin: 0 20px;">${msg}</div>')

This way you will be able to send mails with html tags in it. If you decide to change the sendemail.py file with the above to use the integrated sendemail command, be aware that the changes will be reverted when splunk is updated. 

I hope this will help someone. 

Sasquatchatmars

View solution in original post

wmw
Explorer

I appreciate this semi-recent thread on this subject. I'm curious what someone is intended to do in Splunk Cloud though. Like... why does the email alert configuration have 2 buttons at the bottom. 1 says "HTML & Plain Text", the other just says "Plain Text", and regardless of what occurs you just get plain text. Uh, wut?

0 Karma

Sasquatchatmars
Communicator

For anyone who needs an answer to this, I made a new command using the suggested changes, here , in the python script "sendemail.py". 

To do this go to: 

copy the script: splunk/etc/apps/search/bin/sendemail.py 

Go to the part where you can find:

return template.Template('<div style="margin: 0 20px;">${msg|h}</div>')

Change that to to the following:

return template.Template('<div style="margin: 0 20px;">${msg}</div>')

This way you will be able to send mails with html tags in it. If you decide to change the sendemail.py file with the above to use the integrated sendemail command, be aware that the changes will be reverted when splunk is updated. 

I hope this will help someone. 

Sasquatchatmars

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...