Alerting

Failure in including PDF in alert mail

thirumalreddyb
Communicator

I've recently got this error message when i tried to generate an alert that triggers a mail which sends a PDF in the mail.

"An error occurred while generating a PDF of this report. Please see python.log for details."

The python log has the following details.
"2013-03-05 03:00:04,383 +0530 WARNING pdfgen_endpoint:323 - Invalid argument passed to pdfgen/render. arg=owner value=admin"

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

giorgio_adami_m
Path Finder

I receive regularly pdf in alert mails and there is this line in my python.log , so your problem is somewhere else. Look for ERROR lines in python.log.

P.S. Are you using the integrated PDF generator of Splunk 5 ?

View solution in original post

giorgio_adami_m
Path Finder

I receive regularly pdf in alert mails and there is this line in my python.log , so your problem is somewhere else. Look for ERROR lines in python.log.

P.S. Are you using the integrated PDF generator of Splunk 5 ?

thirumalreddyb
Communicator

Yes, we receiving alerts through csv,html and raw. When we use "PDF" alerts we are not able to receive. I'm Using Windows-Xp OS. This can be the issue(The PDF server does not run on Windows.)? But with "Schedule PDF Delivery", I'm getting PDF attached mails.

0 Karma

giorgio_adami_m
Path Finder

Maybe the problem is an incorrect configuration of the email alert (alert_actions.conf).

Do you receive emails from splunk (without pdf) ?

If the answer is "no", these two links are for you:
http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/58253/problem-with-sending-email
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.2/Admin/Alertactionsconf

0 Karma

thirumalreddyb
Communicator

We are getting the below mentioned error in the log.

and my mail id testingmail@test.com is working fine for "Schedule PDF delivery". Im also receiving mails for this email.

2013-03-05 02:00:04,059 ERROR (553, '5.1.3 <@HISBSD01SPLUNK01>... User address required', '@HISBSD01SPLUNK01') while sending mail to: testingmail@test.com

2013-03-05 02:00:04,301 +0530 WARNING pdfgen_endpoint:323 - Invalid argument passed to pdfgen/render. arg=owner value=admin

0 Karma

giorgio_adami_m
Path Finder

So, post any related ERROR line that you have in python.log .

0 Karma

thirumalreddyb
Communicator

yep, splunk 5

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...