Alerting

Create alert when average events greater than 2 standard deviations from rolling average

jodros
Builder

I know that there are several threads on answers that reference alerts based on standard deviation. I have tried a few of them and the use cases do not seem to meet what I need.

I would like to create an alert that will fire when the average of events over 5 minutes is greater than 2 standard deviations of the average of events over 60 minutes. This post is the closest I have found, but I am still stuck.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/227404/alert-when-sample-is-2-standard-deviations-from-mo.html?ut...

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tags (2)

tlagatta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Jodros, check out the Security Essentials app, which goes through a lot of statistical use cases like this:

Security Essentials App:
https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3435/

For example, you can start from the "Sources Sending a High Volume of DNS Traffic" use case in the Security Essentials app. This query identifies hosts with very high traffic (more than 3 standard standard deviations). You should be able to adapt this to your use case:

| inputlookup dns_data_anon.csv 
| convert mktime(_time) timeformat="%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3Q%z" 
| bucket _time span=1h 
| stats sum(bytes*) as bytes* by src_ip _time 
| eventstats max(_time) as maxtime avg(bytes_out) as avg_bytes_out stdev(bytes_out) as stdev_bytes_out 
| eventstats count as num_data_samples avg(eval(if(_time < relative_time(maxtime, "@h"),bytes_out,null))) as per_source_avg_bytes_out stdev(eval(if(_time < relative_time(maxtime, "@h"),bytes_out,null))) as per_source_stdev_bytes_out by src_ip 
| where num_data_samples >=4 AND bytes_out > avg_bytes_out + 3 * stdev_bytes_out AND bytes_out > per_source_avg_bytes_out + 3 * per_source_stdev_bytes_out AND _time >= relative_time(maxtime, "@h") 
| eval num_standard_deviations_away_from_org_average = round(abs(bytes_out - avg_bytes_out) / stdev_bytes_out,2), num_standard_deviations_away_from_per_source_average = round(abs(bytes_out - per_source_avg_bytes_out) / per_source_stdev_bytes_out,2) 
| fields - maxtime per_source* avg* stdev*
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...