Alerting

Alerts falsely show up as reports

zapping575
Path Finder

Hi,

I have a bunch of alerts in my savedsearches.conf.

I would like to configure the alert action "Add to triggered alerts" (as is offered when you add the alert using the ui). I am doing this programmatically.

After restarting splunk, the alerts do not show up as alerts, but rather as reports (in the reports tab). Is this intended behaviour by splunk or am I missing out on something?

An example alert can be found below

[generic-alert-name]                                                                                 
alert.expires = 120d                                                                                                   
alert.severity = 2                                                                                                     
alert.suppress = 0                                                                                                     
alert.track = 1                                                                                                        
counttype = number of events                                                                                           
cron_schedule = * * * * *                                                                                              
description = 
dispatch.earliest_time = rt-30d                                                                                        
dispatch.latest_time = rt-0d                                                                                           
display.general.type = statistics                                                                                      
display.page.search.tab = statistics                                                                                   
enablesched = 1                                                                                                        
quantity = 0                                                                                                           
relation = greater than                                                                                                
request.ui_dispatch_app = my_app                                                                     
request.ui_dispatch_view = my_app
search = eventtype = "some-eventtype" | stats count by id | search count >= 4711 

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

zapping575
Path Finder

So I was using the exact same name for my alerts as I was using for the eventtypes that were used to generate them.
Whats more is that because of the large number of alerts, splunk stated the following:

The number of search artifacts in the dispatch directory is higher than recommended

Thus I changed the alert type from real-type to planned.

They are now appearing in the Alerts section as expected.

Thanks @richgalloway for the help.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

zapping575
Path Finder

So I was using the exact same name for my alerts as I was using for the eventtypes that were used to generate them.
Whats more is that because of the large number of alerts, splunk stated the following:

The number of search artifacts in the dispatch directory is higher than recommended

Thus I changed the alert type from real-type to planned.

They are now appearing in the Alerts section as expected.

Thanks @richgalloway for the help.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Compare your "alert" to one created using the UI and the difference should be clear.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

zapping575
Path Finder

Thank you for the response.

I did what you suggested (in a separate app for testing).

The entry in savedsearches that you can find below will show up as an alert. However, I can see no difference to the entry in my first post.

[test1]
                                                                                                                       alert.expires = 120d                                                                                                                       alert.suppress = 0                                                                                                                       alert.track = 1                                                                                                                      counttype = number of events                                                                                                                       cron_schedule = * * * * *                                                                                                                       description = test1                                                                                                                       dispatch.earliest_time = rt-30d                                                                                                                       dispatch.latest_time = rt-0d                                                                                                                       display.general.type = statistics                                                                                                                       display.page.search.tab = statistics                                                                                                                       enableSched = 1                                                                                                                       quantity = 0                                                                                                                       relation = greater than                                                                                                                       request.ui_dispatch_app = test1                                                                                                                       request.ui_dispatch_view = search                                                                                                                       search = index="_internal" | stats count by action, host | search count > 1

I did also compare the default.meta files. They are identical, so permissions shouldnt be an issue.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In my experience, the counttype field makes the difference.  For reports, counttype is "always" (the default).

---
0 Karma

zapping575
Path Finder

Thank you very much for the tip.

For a single alert in savedsearches.conf, I changed counttype to always and restarted splunk.

Unfortunately, the selected alert still doesnt show up where it should.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If counttype is "always" then the saved search is a report, not an alert.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...