Alerting

Alerting on Windows Event Logs

srubik

Fairly new to Splunk and I'm starting my deployment off with monitoring Windows Event Logs. I have a list of about 200 specific event log entries that need to be alerted on. What is the best way to go about this? Most Splunk alerts seem very easy to setup, such as "give me any server that has CPU usage above 75%". But in this case, I have a lot of very specific data I need to search for. I was thinking of doing something like the following, but it seems very inefficient.

index="EventLogData" (SourceName="Microsoft-Windows-Service Control Manager" AND EventCode=7036) OR (SourceName="Interactive Services detection" AND EventCode=1000) OR ...(same thing 198 times).

An alternative is to pull all event log entries that occurred over the past minute, then do some regular expression matching on all returned events. Or I can split up the above line into 200 individual searches that run once a minute.

Has anyone had to do something like this before with Splunk? What would be an efficient way to handle alerting on these 200+ specific events? The above is just an example, the Windows events I'm looking for are mostly errors (but not all) and spread across many different sources(Microsoft, HP, various agents, applications, etc). I can probably combine the common sources, but that still leaves me with 50 or so events I need to search for. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...