Alerting

Alert when percentage of Response Times > 8000ms is >2% among other <8000ms API calls

rakeshreddy1230
Explorer

Hello, 

I am trying to generate an alert based of response times. In a given timeframe, if the percentage of response times (resp_time > 8000ms) >2%, then alert. 

SO, far i am using this and getting a null value

index=AlwaysUseIndex service_name=MyService request_host=something.com "parameter_check" | rex field=route "^(?<route>.*)\?" | eval pTime = response_time | stats count as Volume by route | appendcols [ search pTime > 8000 | stats count as Err by route ] | fields route,Volume,Err

This is to test and once i get some output, i want to do below percentage calculation. 

| eval Percentage=round((Volume/Total)*100,2) | table route, Total,Err,Percentage

Final Output

RouteTotalErrpercentage

I tried a few other options as well, not sure if its a brain fade moment after working for 12 hours but i cannot seem to get the err count to dive by total and get percentages. 

I am able to get percentages but not sure how to alert based on it. 

This the query i used to get percentages:

index=ALwaysUseIndex service_name=MyService request_host=something.com "parameter_check" | rex field=route "^(?<route>.*)\?" | eval pTime = total_time | eval TimeFrames = case(pTime<=1000, "0-1", pTime>1000 AND pTime<=3000, "1-3", pTime>3000 AND pTime<=5000, "3-5", pTime>5000 AND pTime<=8000, "5-8", pTime>8000, ">8", pTime>20000, "ReallyBad") | stats count as CallVolume by route, TimeFrames | eventstats sum(CallVolume) as Total by route | eval Percentage=round((CallVolume/Total)*100,2) | sort by route, -CallVolume | chart values(Percentage) over route by TimeFrames | sort -TimeFrames

But i am not sure how to alert based off only the pTime >8000 and pTime >20000

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@rakeshreddy1230, can you try below query? You can set alert if result is more than zero.

index=AlwaysUseIndex service_name=MyService request_host=something.com "parameter_check" 
| rex field=route "^(?<route>.*)\?" 
| eval pTime = total_time 
| eval TimeFrames = case(pTime<=1000, "0-1", pTime>1000 AND pTime<=3000, "1-3", pTime>3000 AND pTime<=5000, "3-5", pTime>5000 AND pTime<=8000, "5-8", pTime>8000, ">8", pTime>20000, "ReallyBad") 
| stats count as CallVolume by route, TimeFrames 
| eventstats sum(CallVolume) as Total by route 
| eval Percentage=round((CallVolume/Total)*100,2) 
| stats max(Total) as Total max(Percentage) as Percentage by route TimeFrames 
| where Percentage > 0.2 AND (TimeFrames=">8" OR TimeFrames="ReallyBad")
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@rakeshreddy1230, can you try below query? You can set alert if result is more than zero.

index=AlwaysUseIndex service_name=MyService request_host=something.com "parameter_check" 
| rex field=route "^(?<route>.*)\?" 
| eval pTime = total_time 
| eval TimeFrames = case(pTime<=1000, "0-1", pTime>1000 AND pTime<=3000, "1-3", pTime>3000 AND pTime<=5000, "3-5", pTime>5000 AND pTime<=8000, "5-8", pTime>8000, ">8", pTime>20000, "ReallyBad") 
| stats count as CallVolume by route, TimeFrames 
| eventstats sum(CallVolume) as Total by route 
| eval Percentage=round((CallVolume/Total)*100,2) 
| stats max(Total) as Total max(Percentage) as Percentage by route TimeFrames 
| where Percentage > 0.2 AND (TimeFrames=">8" OR TimeFrames="ReallyBad")
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...