Alerting
Highlighted

Alert triggered script produces different results from a CLI triggered script

Explorer

I have several scheduled alerts set to trigger a script on every run. The scripts run CLI searches, and dump the output into our ticketing system.

The scripts are triggering as expected, but the results from the alert triggered scripts are coming back with no data. However, when I trigger the same script manually for the same time frame, I get the results I expect.

In the most recent test, I set the alert to trigger within a less than a minute of me running the script from the CLI. The window was set to 24 hours, and the alert triggered version produced a 0 byte file, and the CLI triggered version produced a 40kb file.

Does anyone know why these differences might be showing up?

The permissions are the same, I'm running the script from the CLI as the splunk user, and I'm using the same script in both the alert and the CLI.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Alert triggered script produces different results from a CLI triggered script

Explorer

I figured it out. Running from the CLI with the splunk user, the CLI search picks up the auth token in .splunk for that user. When the script is triggered by an alert, the auth token isn't checked.

I created a limited user with access to run the search I needed and added an -auth 'user:pass' to the script. That seems to solve the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Karma
Speak Up for Splunk Careers!

We want to better understand the impact Splunk experience and expertise has has on individuals' careers, and help highlight the growing demand for Splunk skills.