Splunk Search

calculating percentage using eval and stats commands

manju1318
Engager

Hi, I am working on a task: calculating the percentage of employees working in food industry for each country. I tried to develop the code but its not working. please correct my where its mistake.

| stats sum("Number of employees") as Total_Emp by Country
| where Industry="Food*"
| stats sum("Number of employees") as Food_Emp by Country
| eval Percent = round((Food_Emp/Total_Emp)*100,2)."%"

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Each command in the search pipeline knows only the results from preceeding commands (probably that's why the pipe sign to separate them because it's very similar to shell stream processing). So as soon as you do the first stats command you lose the information about raw data and can only operate on aggregated results.

There are several possible approaches to your problem but I'd do it like this:

| stats sum('Number of employees') as overall sum(eval(if(like(Industry,"Food%"),'Number of employees',0))) as food by Country

(Might have some mismatched parentheses)

View solution in original post

manju1318
Engager

thank you for responding.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Each command in the search pipeline knows only the results from preceeding commands (probably that's why the pipe sign to separate them because it's very similar to shell stream processing). So as soon as you do the first stats command you lose the information about raw data and can only operate on aggregated results.

There are several possible approaches to your problem but I'd do it like this:

| stats sum('Number of employees') as overall sum(eval(if(like(Industry,"Food%"),'Number of employees',0))) as food by Country

(Might have some mismatched parentheses)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...