Splunk Search

Why is eval command case function not working?

SumanPalisetty
Path Finder

Hi,

I wrote a eval command and its not working. Kindly help.

source = "2access_30DAY.log" | eval "new_field" = case('status'=200, 'Suman and Cloeh are best couple') | table "status" "new_field"

eval1.png

Regards

Suman P.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

SumanPalisetty
Path Finder

Thank you @yuanliu but I have a question please. Field name should be in double quotes. so, shouldn't status be in double quotes? Why is it giving me an error when I use it?

eval2.png

Regards

Suman P.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As @yuanliu says, quoting and eval is a little complicated and can be a little confusing

Just remember the rule with eval

Left hand side (LHS) of the eval statement can ONLY use double quotes and only if needed, e.g. 

| eval "status"=case(...)

does NOT need double quotes as it does not contain spaces and can be written as

| eval status=case(...)

However, this left hand side MUST use double quotes, as it contains spaces

| eval "Total Errors"=123

Right hand side (RHS) of the eval 

• Is written without any quotes if a simple field name (e.g. just letters)
    • e.g. status
  • SINGLE quotes if the field contains certain special characters or starts with a number
    • e.g. 'Total Errors' or '1stValue' or 'my:Special:Field'

Note though how the following seems confusing with treatment of LHS and RHS names

| eval 1stValue=123
| eval value='1stValue'

Although the 1stValue assignment does NOT need double quotes on the LHS even though it starts with a number, the RHS DOES need single quotes, so eval does not start to treat it as a number.

As a general rule, it is always safe to use SINGLE quotes round a field on the RHS. In your example, you put the 'Suman...' in single quotes, so Splunk thought that was a field you were assigning to new_field, hence it had no value.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In addition to this - note that the previous comment applies to EVAL and NOT to other operations such as aggregations.

In that case, you will use double quotes - yes I know this is confusing - but take this for example where you have fields called

• sale price
  • sale quantity

both contain spaces and need a single quote in the EVAL, but in the stats command, the sale quantity field needs to be encapsulated in DOUBLE quotes, not single quotes.

| eval "dollar price"='sale quantity' * 'sale price'
| stats sum("dollar price") as "dollar total" sum("sale quantity") as quantity

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Field name should be in double quotes.

Field name should not be in double quotes.  Double quote encloses literal strings in SPL.  Single quotes enclose field names.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@yuanliu wrote:

Field name should be in double quotes.

Field name should not be in double quotes.  Double quote encloses literal strings in SPL.  Single quotes enclose field names.

Correction.  Single quotes dereferences a field, i.e., points to a value.  When you compare with a number literal (200), you need a numerical value to compare, not a string.

The use of double quotes is slightly complicated.  When appearing on the left-hand side of an assignment or in tabulation (including groupby terms), they enclose field names.  In the right-hand side of an assignment or any other form of evaluation expression, they enclose literal strings.

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Which means that my initial reply copied the original code too much.

source = "2access_30DAY.log"
 | eval "new_field" = case('status'==200, "Suman and Cloeh are best couple")
 | table status new_field

(When there is no ambiguity as to where the field name ends, i.e., no space or special characters in field name, you can skip single quotes.) 

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

source = "2access_30DAY.log"
 | eval "new_field" = case('status'==200, "Suman and Cloeh are best couple")
 | table "status" "new_field"

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...