Splunk Search

Unable to get return results from inputlookup

willadams
Contributor

I am unable to get additional columns from a CSV I have referenced in an SPL query that I have written.  In the CSV there are numerous columns however I want to add additional columns based on my search.  From a data view, my index has details about devices for example 3 fields (user, status, machinename).  My query searches for "status = "in use"" and then tries to match this up to the CSV in question.  The output I am after is that on a match to show the detail from the CSV as required (i.e. columns are labelled firstname, lastname, type)

My query is

index=devices status="in use"
| rename prim_user as userid
| search userid="*"
[|inputlookup mycatalog.csv | search type="valued" | fields userid]

| table userid type machinename

When I run this query a table is produced but the "type" column is not returned from the CSV.  I tried editing my search to be 

| search userid="*"
[|inputlookup mycatalog.csv | search type="valued" | fields userid, type]

This however returns a null value.  I then tried to use a lookup but this fails too

| search userid="*"
[|inputlookup mycatalog.csv | search type="valued" | fields userid]

| lookup mycatalog.csv prim_user as userid OUTPUT userid, type

This returns an error in my lookup advising "could not find all of the specified lookup fields in the lookup table even though they are there.

Any help appreciated.  

Labels (1)
0 Karma

anilchaithu
Builder

@willadams 

If I understood your issue here correctly, you want lookup the userid and get the type from the lookup. But I am not sure you are only looking for type="valued" in the subsearch.

This should work

| lookup mycatalog.csv userid

Hope this helps

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...