Splunk Search

Splunk Query stats with time intervals

Satyapv
Engager

Hello All,

I want to build a splunk query using stats to get count of messages for last 5 min, last 10min and last 15min.Something like below. Kindly let me know how below can be achieved? 

Transaction       Last 5min Vol        Last 10min Vol       Last 15min Vol

A

B

C

Labels (8)
0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

Hi @Satyapv,

Hi,

Here's another alternative. We'll use internal splunkd components to simulation a field named Transaction.

To see event counts over [-300,0], [-600,0], and [-900,0] seconds:

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd component=* earliest=-15m latest=now
| rename component as Transaction 
| addinfo ``` assumes a valid latest value ```
| stats
    count(eval(_time>=info_max_time-300)) as "Last 5min Vol"
    count(eval(_time>=info_max_time-600)) as "Last 10min Vol"
    count as "Last 15min Vol"
    by Transaction

To see event counts over [-300,0], [-600,300), and [-900,600) seconds:

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd component=* earliest=-15m latest=now
| rename component as Transaction 
| addinfo ``` assumes a valid latest value ```
| stats
    count(eval(_time>=info_max_time-300)) as "Last 5min Vol"
    count(eval(_time>=info_max_time-600 AND _time<info_max_time-300)) as "Last 10min Vol"
    count(eval(_time<info_max_time-600)) as "Last 15min Vol"
    by Transaction

You can adjust earliest and latest as needed, but note that the last count will always be inclusive of earliest, i.e. the last 15 minutes for -15m. You adjust the count aggregates to disallow counting events more than 900 seconds (15 minutes) prior to latest:

count(eval(_time>=info_max_time-900)) as "Last 15min Vol"

or

count(eval(_time>=info_max_time-900 AND _time<info_max_time-600)) as "Last 15min Vol"

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

My three cents on general approach to such tasks.

Since "last 15 minutes" and "last 10 minutes" can be expressed in terms of 5-minute periods, you can simply either use a timechart with 5-minute bins or bin manually time to 5-minute buckets and do stats over the 5-minute periods. And then - when you have those 5-minute stats - you can aggregate last two or last three stats to get summarized "last 10 minutes" and "last 15 minutes" values.

It's often useful to see if the problem containing several "parallel" computations cannot be transformed to a single - maybe a bit more detailed - calculation and some form of aggregation after that.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Satyapv,

you can use eval to categorize your data:

<your_search>
| eval period=case(
   _time>now()-300,"Last 5min Vol",
   _time>now()-600,"Last 10min Vol",
   _time>now()-900,"Last 15min Vol")
| chart count OVER Transaction BY period

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

Satyapv
Engager

Thank you.

Is there way to combine this in stats instead of chart as i need extract few other fields also as par of stats?

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Can you give some sample events and how you would like to present results?
0 Karma

Satyapv
Engager

Hello,

Transaction       Last 5min Vol        Last 10min Vol       Last 15min Vol Timeouts Errors

A

B

C

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In addition to possible additions such as "Timeout Errors", you case requires an additional consideration.  Using case function (or use timechart command) will count each 5-minute interval separately in disagreement with the semantics of "last 10 min vol" and "last 15min vol".  These terms are cumulative.  Any event in "last 5min" must also be counted in "last 10min" and "last 15min".

Here is a semantic implementation; mvappend satisfies both considerations.

| foreach 5min 10min 15min
    [eval header = mvappend(header, if(_time - relative_time(now(), "-<<FIELD>>") > 0, "Last <<FIELD>> Vol", null()))]
| eval header = mvappend(header, if(log_level == "ERROR", "Timeout Errors", null()),
``` This is error emulation.  Use real condition(s) ```
  if(someother > 0, "Some other count", null()))
| chart count OVER Transaction BY header
| table Transaction "Last 5min Vol" "Last 10min Vol" "Last 15min Vol" "Timeout Errors"

Note the last mvappend evaluation is emulation.  Use your real condition.  Here is a data emulation I use to test the above code; one emulated error condition gives non-zero output.

index=_internal earliest=-15m
| rename sourcetype AS Transaction
``` data emulation above; some events have leg_level "ERROR" ```

This emulation gives the counts like the following:

TransactionLast 5min VolLast 10min VolLast 15min VolTimeout Errors
dbx_health_metrics1370205527400
dbx_server0040
splunk_python1015200
splunk_search_messages4222
splunkd4736739098332779
splunkd_access3886007870
splunkd_ui_access2441341480
Tags (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Hi
If query takes long, then maybe you should look if you should use time() instead of now()? 1st gives you current time and 2nd is time when query has started.
r. Ismo
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.2.1/SearchReference/DateandTimeFunctions
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...