Splunk Search

Response time

Als123
Explorer

Hi Team,

I am having a question regarding log details in Splunk.

1.How response time is generating in logs.?

2.From where it gets configured?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

Als123
Explorer

@gcusello ,

Thank you. Got it now.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI @Als123,

what do you mean with "response time"?

in Splunk there are two timestamps:

• _time: the timestamp of the event, extracted during indexing from the event with rules defined in props.conf,
  • _indextime: the timestamp associated to the event when the event is indexed by Splunk.

If instead you're speaking of a field in event (e.g. milliseconds from a web transactions) you have to extract it using a regex.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Als123
Explorer

Hi @gcusello ,

In my logs, I couldn't able to see the response time of the transaction.How to get that one?Can you please help me?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Als123,

this is a very generic question!

Anyway, if you can clearly identify your transactions (e.g. using a unique Transaction ID to group all the events of a transaction) you can use more solutions to calculate the duration of the transaction.

The easiest way, but not the more performant is the transaction command (see to https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.3/SearchReference/Transaction ).

Otherway you can use the stats command, that's faster than the other, try somerhng like this:

Your_search
| stats earliest(_time) AS earliest latest(_time) AS latest BY transaction_ID
| eval duration=latest-earliest
| table transaction_ID duration

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

Als123
Explorer

Hi @gcusello ,

Thank you.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI @Als123,

if this answer solves your need, please accept it for the other people of Community.

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...