Splunk Search

How to parse a JSON array that follows my search string?

splunk_skr
Explorer

My log file has multiple JSONs being printed in one line.

{JSON string 1}
My Search String : {"key1":"value1","key2":"value2"}
{JSON string 3}

I am trying to read the JSON that follows my search string, then get data for the key value pairs. So basically the JSON I need is between the {} following my search string. I can play with the JSON after I get it. Any idea how I can extract just that json data?

0 Karma
1 Solution

gokadroid
Motivator

Please try this:

your query to return the event
| rex field=_raw "(?s).*(My Search String)\s*\:\s*\{(?<myJson>[^\}]+)\}"
| table myJson

Replace your search string with (My Search String) above taking care of escaping any special characters, like " . or * etc. in between that string if it is different.

See here for the output of regex

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gokadroid
Motivator

Please try this:

your query to return the event
| table myJson

Replace your search string with (My Search String) above taking care of escaping any special characters, like " . or * etc. in between that string if it is different.

See here for the output of regex

0 Karma

splunk_skr
Explorer

@gokadroid I used the rex you suggested and that returned the data between {}. table option put it under one column. Here is how it looks

"key1":"value1","key2":"value2"
"key1":"value1","key2":"value2"

I want to create a table with key1, key2 as headers and value1, value2 as the actual values inside it. Here is what i did

query to return event | rex field=_raw "(?s).*(My Search String)\s*\:\s*\{(?<myJson>[^\}]+)\}" | mvexpand myJson
     | eval str=split(myJson,",") 
     | eval col1=mvindex(str,0) 
     | eval col2=mvindex(str,1)
| table  col1, col2

This is working but i get both key & value in column data. Is there a better way to get a cleaner table.

0 Karma

gokadroid
Motivator

Indeed there always is a better way:

How about we try to make key and value out of all the kv which exist in this string by doing something like this:

query to return event 
| rex field=myJson max_match=0 "\"(?<key>[^\"]+)\":\"(?<value>[^\"]+)\""
| eval myKV=mvzip( key, value, "~")
| mvexpand myKV
| rex field=myKV "(?<myKey>[^~]+)~(?<myValue>.*)"
| table myKey, myValue
0 Karma

splunk_skr
Explorer

This works but not completely 🙂 . What i am looking for is a transpose. This query prints multiple rows for one result - key/values put in multiple rows. I need all values in one row. Table Header Row for all Keys and values in multiple rows/columns under each header.

0 Karma

splunk_skr
Explorer

Perfect. This gives the entire content within {}. It is a single string. I should be able to work with it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...