Splunk Search

How to display only a substring of result set?

HelloItsMe76
Explorer

When i search for the string "ERROR"  in a log i get the below 

<

DEBUG : blah blah

INFO : blah blah blah 

ERROR : <some error string> 

More blah blah

>

I want to only show the whole line that starts with ERROR.  The length of the error line is variable.

How can i do this?

I do understand that fixing the line breaks formatting in prop.conf might be a quicker way but i dont have access to that file so would like to do it in the result head.  thanks in advance.  

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @HelloItsMe76,

You can use regex to extract the error string using below command after your search This will create a new field error_string that contains ERROR line info.

| rex field=_raw "ERROR\s+:\s+(?<error_string>.+)"

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @HelloItsMe76,

You can use regex to extract the error string using below command after your search This will create a new field error_string that contains ERROR line info.

| rex field=_raw "ERROR\s+:\s+(?<error_string>.+)"

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

HelloItsMe76
Explorer

thanks, that worked. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...