Splunk Search

How to define a source type

ethanthomas
Explorer

I have a requirement to add new data format to splunk . Below is the sample data . If i want to setup a new sourcetype based on the field 'InputType', what are the changes required in the props.conf file and transforms.conf file ? I want the sourcetype to display the values aMG, zRP or bKL

Sample data

InputType="aMG"|filename <K............

InputType="zRP"{dataformat..>...........

InputType="bKL"$%mo << ........

InputType="aMG"\dataformat.......

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should put a sourcetype in your inputs.conf. Did you put these props and transforms to indexers? Or if there is a Heavy Forwarder between, you have to put it there. Could you please share your props, transforms and inputs.conf settings? Also infor about your setup, UF, HF and indexers.

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
0 Karma

ethanthomas
Explorer

I have used exactly the same . However , the sourcetype is still the value defined in the input.conf file . Any issues ? Do i need to change anything in the input .conf file ? I removed the sourcetype in the Input.conf file , but on that case the sourcetype changes to the default value tcp-raw. Please help

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ethanthomas,

Below should work for you, please input_sourcetype stanza with yours. 

transforms.conf

[update_sourcetype]
REGEX = InputType=\"([^\"]+)
FORMAT = sourcetype::$1
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype

props.conf

[input_sourcetype]
TRANSFORMS-sourcetype_override = update_sourcetype

For reference your can check below docs link;

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.2/Data/Advancedsourcetypeoverrides#Override_source_... 

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...