Splunk Search

How does rex fails to match files (regex expression works as expected on regex101)?

immutableT
Engager

Hello, 
There must be something `rex` specific with my query below since it is not extracting the fields, while the regex works as expected when I test on regex101 (see https://regex101.com/r/g0TMS4/1)

eventtype="my_event_type"
| rex field=responseElements.assumedRoleUser.arn /arn:aws:sts::(?<accountId>\d{12}):assumed_role\/(?<assumedRoled>.*)\/vault-oidc-(?<userId>\w+)-*./
| fields accountId, assumedRole, userId

Sample data that fails to match:
arn:aws:sts::984086324016:assumed-role/foo-admin-app/vault-oidc-foo-admin-app-1687793763-Qen4JHeRXYlB8Eoplkjs

Thanks
Alex.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Firstly, you don't need the / at the beginning and end of the regex string in the rex command, if anything these should be replace with double quotes. Secondly, you have an underscore instead of a hyphen in your regex (assumed-role) which doesn't match with your sample data

| rex field=responseElements.assumedRoleUser.arn "arn:aws:sts::(?<accountId>\d{12}):assumed-role\/(?<assumedRoled>.*)\/vault-oidc-(?<userId>\w+)-*."

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Also, you don't have to escape slashes in the regex.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Firstly, you don't need the / at the beginning and end of the regex string in the rex command, if anything these should be replace with double quotes. Secondly, you have an underscore instead of a hyphen in your regex (assumed-role) which doesn't match with your sample data

| rex field=responseElements.assumedRoleUser.arn "arn:aws:sts::(?<accountId>\d{12}):assumed-role\/(?<assumedRoled>.*)\/vault-oidc-(?<userId>\w+)-*."

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...