Splunk Search

How can I use login and logout events for specific UserIDs to determine concurrent users at a given time?

purcell12491
Loves-to-Learn

These are the fields I'm using - Body, ATNVersion, operatingsystem, osversion, MID 

Labels (2)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

1. Your problem is not clearly specified. You might want to find out how many users are logged in at some given point in time or which ones are logged in (also possibly counting or not duplicate logins).

2. Do you have a separate login and logout events?

3. Remember that as you're logging only login and logout events you won't find sessions which "overlap" your search time range. For example - if your user logged in at 9am and logged out at 12pm you won't find this session if you only search through 10am-11am because you have no events regarding this session during that time range. (this problem can be alleviated for specific use cases by using summary indexing).

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @purcell12491 ,

could you beter describe your requirement: operative systems, fields used, etc...?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

KendallW
Communicator
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...