Splunk Search

Extract common user who encounters different values for the same field over time

BoGiulio

Hello, Splunk noob here. I'd like to find in my index users who encounters an error during a phase of a process but later, for the same phase, are able to succeed. So it would be something like this:

User=A phase="something" result=error 10:00 AM
User=A phase="something" result=success 10:05 AM

I'd like to be able to gather all of the users who face a similar situation.
Anyone can suggest a solution?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

LxSenpai
Explorer

Hey there, Looks like you need to add a "filter" that says "return all the events for this User A that has error and success for this period of time" .

Also there is "Alerts" that you could create which will give you basically alerts on such events.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

May be something like this would work.

your search
| stats latest(result) as latest values(result) as results by User phase
| where latest="success" AND isnotnull(mvfind(match(results,"error")))
0 Karma

BoGiulio

@somesoni2 maybe I am doing some mistakes putting my real values instead of placeholders, but it doesn't seem to be working. Thanks a lot anyway!

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Would you mind sharing the search you're trying with? Scrub anything sensitive. Did you get any error running above search OR just the output is not as expected?

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@BoGiulio what if there is an error after success again? Is there supposed to be excluded?

BoGiulio

@niketnilay for the data I'm focusing on there can't be a sequence success-error, only sometimes error-success; after the user has success for a specific phase, it goes to the next one. Thanks a lot for your time.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...