Splunk Search

Exclude Null in subsearch

rajkskumar
Explorer

I have the following query used to build a chart. Sometimes, the incoming events do not have the fields set. How could these events with null could be excluded in a Subsearch?

index=prod
| search processRelevantFields.processName="SessionExecution"|search prod.customerId=* prod.productId=*
| timechart dc(customer.ciamId) as "Active Users"

I have tried with "search <fieldName> =*" as given above. But this is not working. Please guide on how this could be implemented?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In what way is it not working?

Have you tried including the filters on the main search?

index=prod processRelevantFields.processName="SessionExecution" prod.customerId=* prod.productId=*
0 Karma

rajkskumar
Explorer

The Main search is a complex base search query. The Subsearch is used to filter out the elements for this specific chart.

The result includes events which has null fields 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK try putting the field names containing dots in single quotes

index=prod
| search 'processRelevantFields.processName'="SessionExecution"|search 'prod.customerId'=* 'prod.productId'=*
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Hi
even this is old post it describes when to use search and when to use where and what are differences between those.
https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Help-understanding-the-commands-Search-vs-Where-after-...
There are quite many other posts about the same thing. I propose that you will read those and look if those helps you.
r. Ismo
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...