Splunk Search

Exclude Equal Value

LionSplunk
Explorer

Hello, 
i get in Splunk every 7 days a vulnerability scan log from all Hosts in our infrastructure - in the future the scan  should be everyday .

Now i want to filter which of the vulnerability findings are really new and which one is equal to last scan because they are not new anymore and have a reason that they are still in the filter and they should be excluded in the search output. 

If they scan output are the same the CVE number and the message is  identical only the date is different. 

My output should look like that i see only event scan messages when they are only on time in the logs. When a scan log is the same (CVE Number) two times in the log it should not be showed in the output. The best thing would be when i can see in the statistics field which of the extracted_Host are new or in the logs.

Right now my filter is like this: 
I can see in the statistics which of the extracted Host are new with the CVE number but i see in the main Event logs equal logs which are not new anymore. I tried with dedup but thats only deleting the old event logs field value and i can exclude the old event log but the newest is still here.

index=nessus Risk=Critical
| stats count as event_count by CVE, extracted_Host
| where event_count=1
| rename extracted_Host as Host
| table CVE, Host

Thanks for the Help

Labels (1)
0 Karma

LionSplunk
Explorer

Thats my filter now and it seems working
| transaction CVE, extracted_Host
| table CVE, extracted_Host

0 Karma

LionSplunk
Explorer

Here is an event log output. Its both the same log only with an other date. I see both event logs in the output in splunk but i dont want see one of them if in the search are two same event logs. Means if i filter for 7 days and there is only one event log with CVE-2023-21554 then i want to see this because its "new" but when i filter for 30 days and then i find two equal eventlogs i dont want to see it in the output because its not new - right now i see it

16/10/2023
04:00:03.000
"175373","CVE-2023-21554","10.0","Critical","10.56.93.133","tcp","1801","Microsoft Message Queuing RCE (CVE-2023-21554, QueueJumper)","A message queuing application is affected a remote code execution vulnerability.","The Microsoft Message Queuing running on the remote host is affected
by a remote code execution vulnerability. An unauthenticated remote
attacker can exploit this, via a specially crafted message, to
execute arbitrary code on the remote host.","Apply updates in accordance with the vendor advisory.","https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-guide/vulnerability/CVE-2023-21554
http://www.nessus.org/u?383fb650","Nessus was able to detect the issue by sending a specially crafted message to remote TCP port 1801."
CVE = CVE-2023-21554 Risk = Critical extracted_Host = 192.168.0.1 sourcetype = csv

09/10/2023
04:00:03.000
"175373","CVE-2023-21554","10.0","Critical","10.56.93.133","tcp","1801","Microsoft Message Queuing RCE (CVE-2023-21554, QueueJumper)","A message queuing application is affected a remote code execution vulnerability.","The Microsoft Message Queuing running on the remote host is affected
by a remote code execution vulnerability. An unauthenticated remote
attacker can exploit this, via a specially crafted message, to
execute arbitrary code on the remote host.","Apply updates in accordance with the vendor advisory.","https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-guide/vulnerability/CVE-2023-21554
http://www.nessus.org/u?383fb650","Nessus was able to detect the issue by sending a specially crafted message to remote TCP port 1801."
CVE = CVE-2023-21554 Risk = Critical extracted_Host = 192.168.0.1 sourcetype = csv

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @LionSplunk,

you should identify the period, using eval.

so if you run the scan every day, you could try something like this:

| eval period=if(_time<now()-86400,"Last","Previous")
| stats 
   dc(period) AS period_count 
   values(period) AS period
   BY CVE extracted_Host
| where period_count=1 AND period="Last"
| rename extracted_Host as Host
| table CVE Host

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...